Hen with swollen itchy eyes and won't open them

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EchoLakeHens, Aug 7, 2011.

1. EchoLakeHens

EchoLakeHens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I have a 4 month old americauna who has been having eye problems for about a week. Her symptoms are swollen, itchy eyes. I seperated her from the rest of the flock and nobody else has these exact symptoms. Could these be allergies or a virus or something? I started her and everybody else on duramycin 10 a few days ago. Should I keep with this and what could her ailment be? When I let her out into the yard, she tries to open her eyes and scratch around for food. I'm afraid she hasn't been eating so I've been trying to force feed her but she doesn't want anything to do with that. I do get her to drink her treated water with a syringe. I just have no idea what it could be.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Is there any discharge from her eyes. Since none of the others are showing any symptoms and you dont mention any other symptoms for her other than the eyes, I wonder if she got something in her eyes and is developing a local infection. I know it would be a challenge, but maybe you can try irrigating her eyes with saline solution ( or clean water). It also wouldn't hurt to apply some polysporin or neosprorin to her eyes. They do sell the ophthalmic ointment in some pet or farm stores, but I used the neosporin without pain relief in my rooster's eye with success. I know others on the forum have used neosporin in the eye as well.

3. EchoLakeHens

EchoLakeHens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. She acts like they really bother her. Most of the day she just sits with her eyes closed until I let her into the yard. Then she'll walk around and scratch at the ground. I tried irrigating her eyes out today and she didn't want nothing to do with that but it seemed to help. I'll try the neosporin in the eyes. Her head feels really warm too if that has anything to do with it. I can't see any discharge coming out from either eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by