1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen with swollen side of head and sore in mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by allison finch, Aug 16, 2011.

1. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I found one of my hens with the side of her head swollen. The eye was even swollen partially shut. The swelling is very firm. I checked in her mouth and found a deep canker-like sore on the inside of the back of her bottom beak. I don't know how to treat it. She seems to have a fever. I swabbed out the canker with saline solution and wiped out both puss-like stuff and solid bloody material. She is not eating, so I fear she will go down quickly.

Any hints how to treat her both for the canker sore (or whatever it is) and the fever? I really like this hen and would hate to lose her.

any help would be appreciated!!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. allison finch

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    This is getting buried fast. I am hoping for some help soon.

3. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Oh wow, never heard of anything like it. The best thing you can really do is keep it clean and offer yogurt and water with vitamins until we really know anything about it. Hoping for the best!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. allison finch

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thanks. I really hope to help her get through this.

5. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I just saw something earlier where a sore in the mouth was something but I cannot remember which one it was. Type in SORES IN MOUTH or GAPEWORM in the search engine and be sure to search through the emergencies and cures section. I swear I just saw it. I think it might have been a gapeworm kind of thing. For sure get her away from the other ladies. If it is gapeworm you have to get safe-guard (tractor supply carries it). I hope this helps, I am no expert but I know it is frustrating when people dont know how to respond.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You need to treat your hen with metronidazole (purchased as "fishzole" online), one 250mg tablet once a day for 5 days.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:I agree. She probably has a Trichomoniasis or canker infection. Such outbreaks are generally stress related so there may be some other causative factor.

8. allison finch

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I picked up meds and start treatment today. Is this going to be an ongoing problem? Is the coop going to need any treatment? All my flock will be treated as a second bird has now become symptomatic.
    Anything I need to know about this problem? I have been extremely lucky in chicken health, up to now!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Canker is contagious and she will remain a carrier. Use copper sulfate at 1/8 teaspoon per gallon of water for 3 days straight once a month to control it.

10. allison finch

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I will be tossing eggs during this antibiotic treatment. Do I need to toss them during copper sulfate treatment? Are the copper sulfate treatments necessary and, what are they supposed to achieve?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by