1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen with Swollen wattles, egg bound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by donnavee, Jul 5, 2011.

1. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have a 1yr old Golden Campine hen that started just standing and laying around on Sat evening - she even turned down meal worms so we knew something was wrong. I had an EE that has been egg bound before and her symptoms seemed the same and since I hadn't seen a little white egg in a few days I did what had worked for my EE. Moist heat for 30 minutes and massaging her lower abdomen. On Sunday she seemed the same so I repeated the treatment - but we noticed her wattles are swollen too. They are normal red color but definitely swollen. No change yesterday and no egg. This morning she is much like her normal self, not lookings puffy, scratching, eating and drinking. I don't know if she laid an egg since another chicken was in the "favorite" nest box so I couldn't check it out. However, her wattles are still swollen - are they related to egg binding? My EE that was egg bound doesn't have wattles so I have no reference point.

2. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    Hope your hen is okay, I have no clue but maybe somebody else does. Bump to the top.

3. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Thx - just checked the egg boxes and other little hidey places and no sign of a white egg. Except for the swollen wattles, she is acting her normal, feisty self. She really chowed down on some snacks this morning so the appetite is back too. Just not sure if the wattles will eventually get back to normal size or what is causing the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by