Hen with three 1 month old chicks pecking at her feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mkatz131, Dec 18, 2010.

1. mkatz131

mkatz131 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    I have a Hen with three 1 month old chicks. She is pecking at her feathers like she might have mites or something. She hatched the clutch of 3 (100% clutch rate!) in our kitchen in an old dog corral. This is her first hatch and we have never had any insect problem in our small flock. My question is: The feed store had Sevin but the problem is that the bag says only for adults birds. I have on hand a spray bottle of "Poultry Protector" which is listed as having Potassium Sorbate .1%. Would this be safe for the one month chicks? The directions say you can spray it on the litter and surrounds, and maybe directly on the hen; it's not really clear. Could I spray it directly on the hen and also the little ones and if so, how often? I am a new poultry breeder and am learning the ropes with an assortment of bantams we got last Spring. Thanks, Friends.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    ....I also have poultry protector but I am not sure if you can use it on chicks of that age, maybe look it up I'll see if I can find out any info....looked it up and it says 100% natural and enviormentally safe for all birds, Hope this helps. Maybe not spray as heavy as you would on mom but the mites will kill them if you don't do something and I'd rather use something natural.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  3. mkatz131

mkatz131 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Quote:Thanks for your help. I think I will just wipe on the PP with a paper towel, lightly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by