1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen with torn bleeding combm - help for a beginner

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by afj6710, Oct 15, 2011.

1. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I've searched through a few threads on here and I'm still not sure what to do. One of my pullets has a tear at the bottom of the back of her comb that is dangling and bleeding a bit. I've seen suggestions ranging from leaving her alone and letting it heal on it's on, cutting it off, putting antibiotic ointment on it (without pain reliever?), corn starch, and some other stuff that I didn't know what it is. It seems like many bring their birds inside to treat and keep them inside until they are healed. Our birds aren't exactly "tame". The only time I've been able to get my hands on them is at night, so I imagine she would completely freak out if I tried to catch her and bring her inside.

What would you do and why?

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Catch her, bring her inside. Clean it with a warm damp towel and take a good look at it. Then either use triple antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever) or Blue Kote on it. Put her back in when it's no longer red and bleeding.

And find out what caused it.

3. afj6710

Jan 2, 2011
    No blue kote but I do have a basic antibiotic ointment. I also have a BooBooBalm that I use on the kids - it contains: beeswax, tee tree oil, lavender oil, almond oil, and rosemary oil. I wonder if it would be ok to use? Should I use Betadine?

About to go try to catch her and bring her in. Is peroxide ok to put on her wound? I saw in another thread someone suggesting it. Do I need to clip the torn part off? Does it need a bandage? I read something about cornstarch - what do I need it for?

I *think* I know what happened. Our biggest rooster is being pretty rough with the girls and we're pretty sure he did it.

4. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I would stick with the proven triple antibiotic stuff and stay away from anything "herbal." My two cents there.

I would just clean the wound with soap and water. I guess you could use betadine or peroxide but those are pretty harsh and hurt them sometimes. You'll be covered with the antibiotic ointment.

I wouldn't clip it or put a band aid on.

Corn starch helps blood clot if it's still bleeding.

5. afj6710

Jan 2, 2011
    We got her cleaned up and got antibiotic stuff on it. DH clipped the broken part off as it was barely hanging on and flopping in her face. He was worried about gangrene and other nasty infections.

We've got her in a giant dog crate in our laundry room right now. How long does she need to stay separated from the others? DH said he thinks until it is fully healed and the scab is gone? Do I need to do any follow up care to it, like recleaning or applying more ointment over the next few days?

6. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Dont put her back in with the flock unless you cover it in blu-kote...they'll tear her apart otherwise as they zero in on blood/scabs.

For flushing the wound, an iodine wash works well as does saline. I use iodine myself and really like it.

Also, definitely make sure its not the type of antibiotic with painkiller as any of the "-caine" painkillers are deadly to chickens. Just keep it clean and reapply the neosporin every day basically. And make sure she has plenty of protein in her diet (hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, yogurt are all great for a healing bird)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  7. afj6710

Jan 2, 2011
    I don't have any blu-kote - can I get it at TSC or any other farm store? Are there any alternatives? I've read a couple of warnings about using it on chickens.

I wonder how long I should keep her in? She seems miserable in the dog crate. She is pacing around, knocking over her food and water, pooping in her food and water [​IMG], and I don't think she slept much at all last night.

BTW, DD(4) named her Alessia, which I think is appropriate since she has LESS comb than the other BRs now. [​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:blue kote is my savior!!!! Yes TSC has it for less than 6$ a bottle-spray bottle....It will stain you terribly so be careful but anytime my girls get in a tussle blue kote goes on to hide the wounds from others! Hope your girl heals fast and can be returned to her group....

9. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I believe the warnings you're referring to are to not use it on animals you may eat in the future. I Blue Koted my rooster a few times when he snagged his naked neck on something and I plan to butcher him tonight... not worried about it.

I'd continue to keep her in as long as her comb is red and inflamed where it was cut. The Blue Kote helps coat it so it's not a big sign to others that she's sick. It would allow her to go out earlier. If you don't coat it, I wouldn't put her back outside until it was completely healed.

As far as sleeping at night, make sure she's in a completely dark area that has no foot traffic if possible. I use my basement, turn off all the lights.

10. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Quote:blue kote is my savior!!!! Yes TSC has it for less than 6$ a bottle-spray bottle....It will stain you terribly so be careful but anytime my girls get in a tussle blue kote goes on to hide the wounds from others! Hope your girl heals fast and can be returned to her group....

Speaking of which...be aware of where you are when you put it on her...and also wear gloves as its wicked tough to get hte stain off your hands. Chickens tend to shake their head once you spray them so it will go everywhere...basically, dont do it in a nice room, take her in the garage or outside to do it and dont be wearing nice clothes at the time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by