hen with torn comb and broken beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chknchk84, Aug 5, 2013.

1. chknchk84

chknchk84 New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi All!

I'm a newbie chicken keeper - this is our first flock. We have 5 pullets that are about 5 months old. No eggs yet, but we're patiently (kinda) waiting. We haven't noticed any aggressive behavior within the flock, but today I saw that Wilma, our silver laced wyandotte, has a tear at the back of her comb and the tip of her top beak is broken to the quick. She seems completely fine otherwise - eating and drinking. Her poop seems normal, and she still seems perky. I cleaned the comb with soap and water and put some neosporin on it. I'm wondering if I should be doing something more....

We keep them in a completely fenced in run with sand, so predators are not an issue. When we get home from work, we let them out into a fenced off section of the yard to free range - which is when I noticed her injuries. They were not there yesterday. I'm not sure if it was caused by another hen or if she flew or ran into something. I didn't see any blood around the run, but I don't know how another hen would have caused the injury to her beak.

Here are a couple photos, and thank you in advance for your help/advice!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure what happened to her. But, it doesn't seem too serious, though that broken beak is a little concerning. Is she still eating well? Sometimes, a broken beak can be so painful that a chicken won't eat. You did the right thing putting neosporin on her comb. The comb should heal just fine; my birds have had many worse injuries, and have always recovered fully from then.

3. chknchk84

chknchk84 New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks so much for your response! I'm not sure what happened to her either, and I feel so bad! She still seems to be eating well - she actually acts like it doesn't bother her at all. This is really our first injury/concern with the girls, so of course I'm probably worrying more than I should be.

4. crazychick26201

crazychick26201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    West Virginia
    One of my hens which are 6 months old has the same injury. What could have happened? Thanks for the mention of treating it with neosporin. I will do that tonight.

5. chknchk84

chknchk84 New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Sorry to hear that! I never did find out how it happened with ours. Another good product to invest in is Vetericyn hydrogel. It's a wound cleansing product that you should be able to find at your local feed store. It's a little pricey but definitely good to have on hand!

6. crazychick26201

Jun 1, 2013
    West Virginia
    Thanks! I hope they have it at Tractor Supply. I am going tomorrow to get stuff to make a first aid kit. We just got home from our vacation tonight and I had to deal with this before I could even unpack the car! But my little hen was such a good girl and let me doctor her. She is resting in a dog crate in the basement for the night so the others won't go after her for the blood. I just worry so much about this one. She had pasting as a chick and a broken beak once before. She is also the only one who has not developed her comb and wattle. Of course because of all this, she is my favorite.

7. chknchk84

chknchk84 New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Poor thing! We got ours from tractor supply - I believe it was in the equine section, but it may be different at each store. Good luck!

8. crazychick26201

Jun 1, 2013
    West Virginia
    How is your injured hen? Did the others peck at her? I am having to isolate mine because I tried to put her back in and another chicken (the smallest one) went for her. I also got stuff for a first aid kit today!

9. chknchk84

chknchk84 New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    She ended up being fine! It healed quickly, and the other pullets never bothered her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by