1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen with tucked tail won't come out of coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gretamae, Feb 18, 2011.

1. gretamae

gretamae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Ann Arbor
    I have a 2 year old orpington hen who is acting strangely this morning. Her tail is pointed down and she wouldn't come out of the coop all morning even though it's the first day in a long time that the run hasn't been covered in snow.

I did finally get her to come out by enticing her with some corn scratch, so she is eating. Is this normal behavior or a sign of illness?

Thank you in advance.

2. blazer327

blazer327 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    I wish i could help, but unfortunately i have never had this happen to me. Good luck!

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

one of the first signs of illness my birds exhibit when one is sick. [​IMG] Check her poop, check her for mites, pick her up and see if she's lost weight, etc.

4. gretamae

gretamae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Ann Arbor
    Thank you. I've been keeping a very close eye on her. On the day of her suspicious behavior she was in the nest box for a long time. When she came out she was walking and eating just fine, and there was a very large, abnormally shaped egg in the box! I'm hoping she was just having a rough time with that sucker. I haven't found any abnormal droppings, and she seems to be acting her normal self again.

I worry all day long about these birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by