Hen with two bumps on face?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by number1newbie, Dec 13, 2014.

1. number1newbie

number1newbie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    She is quarantined and has fresh food and water can I give her antibiotics? What do I do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could she have been pecked there? Have you seen any fowl pox in the others? That doesn't really look like pox, but if you have others with it, it's possible. Do the bumps feel soft as if they might have pus inside? Or are they hard? It doesn't really look like respiratory infection.

3. number1newbie

Jun 2, 2014
    A couple of the other memebers have little black dots on there combs but none of my other hens have bumps on there face and she my have been pecked but I'm not for sure. should I keep her alone until it goes away? Should I give her anything for it? Or just keep an eye on it for signs of improvement or worsening?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If they are soft as if they contain pus, I would get another pair of hands to hold her head still, clean the skin surface and lance the one bump closer to the beak. Then squeeze it to see if there is pus in it. It it is just blood or nothing comes out, then I would leave it alone. If you don't do this, then watch to see if they get bigger over the next day or two. If they are hard, they could be cysts or tumors. I would separate her unless she is being picked on since she may lose her place in the pecking order. Iodine or betadine can hide the bumps.

5. number1newbie

Jun 2, 2014
    I went out and checked on her and it's about the same size and it's pretty hard there is blood on it that seems to have leaked out. Do you think it is contagious? Like can my other birds catch it? And if not can I put her back with the rest? What do I do? I'm freaking out cuz I don't want this to kill my girl I love her very much.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I doubt if it is contagious. It's probably from pecking. Is it warm where you live, and do you still have mosquitoes out?

7. number1newbie

Jun 2, 2014
    No Mosquitos and it's cool all day I live south of Dallas Texas so the wether is off the wall some days it's freezing in the morning and burning up in the evening

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If the mosquitoes haven't been out, then it's probably not pox.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by