Hen with URI?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Vyctoria, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Vyctoria

Vyctoria Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Due to the fact that I've been very ill for the past 5 days now, I was sort of rushing with the morning chores because I couldn't take the cold air on my lungs for very long and I somehow completely missed that fact that my poor Cayuga hen has a bad upper respiratory infection. I feel terrible because I'm pretty sure I've noticed her scratching at her head a lot lately, but she otherwise showed no other symptoms. Now, she sounds pretty congested and her left eye is swollen shut. I immediately ran down town and got some terramycin ointment for her eye and I had some vet rx that I've been putting on her(which seems to immediately help the breathing). While I'm sure I can find treatments if I search online, this is my first truly sick duck and I have some questions.

- If I go get oral antibiotics, will her eggs still be safe to eat in the future?

- Are there any natural treatments that have worked for you in the past? Please share your stories.

- Are there any supplements that could help her immune system at this point? I mix some "Rooster Booster" powder with their water and they always perk up from it, but I don't know if there is anything more targeted I can use to help.

- What are the odds of her going blind in that eye from something like this?

- What are some causes for this? I have a smaller coop unfortunately, but I keep it bedded with pine shavings and half is covered in straw for winter and egg laying purposes. The other side has a heated bucket of water and their food dish. They then have a fenced run outside. The ventilation isn't great, but we'll be fixing that in the spring. I clean the coop every morning by scooping out the poopy top layer and spreading new shavings on top. I clean any wet straw out daily too, but change out the whole thing once a week. I do have a heat lamp clipped waaay up that is only on during really bitter cold temps at night. I have noticed that they've been spending way more time than usual in the coop due to really nasty, cold weather lately, so I'm just worried it's something inside the coop.

2. Vyctoria

May 30, 2016
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I've been keeping up with trying to rinse the eye in a homemade saline solution and applying the terramycin ointment to it 2-3 times daily. She seems to be itching at it less, but then again, it's looking more and more scaly and bald underneath the eye. The bottom lid seems to be completely closed over, but when I try to open it to get the ointment in, all I see is white. She's definitely blind at this point, but I'm getting paranoid that the eye isn't even there for sure. I don't know what that would look like, but I just read about ducks pecking each other's eye out and now I'm horrified. This all came on so suddenly it seems. She acts pretty normal and is drinking still, but she won't eat much because the other ducks shove her away and she can't see well to prepare herself. I'd try to separate her for feeding, but she freaks out.

I want to bring her to a vet, but the only one who sees animals like this is quite a ways away and over-the-top expensive.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    From your original post, it sounds like something respiratory from the symptoms. Warm saline soaks will help, but she likely needs appropriate antibiotic, possibly even drainage of the eye/sinus area. I'm afraid the vet is probably the safest option.
    As to the coop - ducks, being wet and mucky critters, need lots of ventilation. They are tolerant of very cold weather, so the heat lamp is probably doing them no favors - but don't remove it now since they seem to have become acclimated to it. When the weather warms - remove it.
    Rooster Booster is good, I really don't know of any proven herbal treatments for this. And she may go blind from this, but worse - if it isn't properly treated she may die of the infection.

4. Vyctoria

May 30, 2016
    Finger Lakes, NY
    After a lot of researching this morning, I think she may have Aspergillosis, but I don't really know for sure if that's something possible without the others being sick too? My WH does have breathing troubles from time to time, but that's been ongoing and never lasts more than a few hours. I just ordered some Oxine ah after seeing a lot of people here talking about it.

She has been a bit more active and started trying to eat more, but she just gives up after a couple bites and then drinks a lot. She's scrathing at the left eye that's closed and watery and also at the right side of her throat, right below the beak. As soon as this stuff comes in and this darned snow storm we just got buried under melts away, I plan to strip their coop and spray the whole thing with the Oxine. Right now the eye ointment doesn't seem to be helping much, but the VetRx does help her breathing considerably.

Has anyone had much luck with using ACV and garlic in the water? I'm hoping to try that next time I change their water today because I have both ingredients.

5. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    My recommendation is a diagnosis from a vet rather than guessing.

6. Vyctoria

May 30, 2016
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Unfortunately, our vet doesn't see ducks. I'd have to make a trip out to Cornell and probably pay hundreds upon hundreds that I don't have just to get a diagnosis. I love her and am willing to do anything in my power to help her, but I just don't have unlimited funds for a duck. I was just forced to take a massive pay cut and take on a car payment at the same time, so I'm still in the process of finding another job. I'm currently stuck working part time. So I mean I literally don't have the money and won't for quite a few weeks. My hopes was that someone here would know something more.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  7. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Try messaging Amiga - she knows loads about ducks, she may be able to help you, good luck

8. Vyctoria

May 30, 2016
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Thank you, I'll do that!

Just as a quick update for anyone who might stumble upon this post, her eye seems to be improving. She's opening it a tiny bit more and it no longer looks white, so I can see a normal eye under there. Her energy also seems up and she's attempting to eat again on her own. On the flip side, she's itching way more lately, targeting her cheeks and her throat, right below her beak. Her congestion fluctuates a lot, but last I was out it seemed to be more so than usual.

9. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Please let us know what transpires - I'm curious b/c I'm getting ducks this year, good luck to 'Duckie' and you...

10. Vyctoria

May 30, 2016
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Quick update. I've been adding ACV to their water along with the rooster booster powder. I also started adding a bit of the VetRx to it as well. I've continued applying the Terramycin ointment to her left eye and VetRx on her beak, head, and wings. Just a day or so ago I also started misting her with Young Living thieves oil diluted in water. This morning, she came out and actually wasn't itching. She gave me a run for the money trying to catch her too, which is a first, and was even quacking some again. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but in general she just seemed happier this morning. Her eye is still squinted and watery. I think I need to start flushing it out more with a saline solution.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by