hen with very pale comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bigdawgs1, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Bigdawgs1

Bigdawgs1 New Egg

Jul 13, 2011
    One of my two and a half year old hens has a very pale comb and face. She is sleepy and doesn't move around as much as she use to. when she does she moves slowly. she still eats and will go on the perch with the others. she just doesn't seem to have any energy any more. she has been like this for a couple of days. the rest of the flock is healthy and active. any advice would be appeciated.

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    You are right to be concerned.

When did she last lay an egg?

What is her diet?

If she hasn't been laying she may be an internal layer (resulting in lots of infection) in which case her best chance of some more quality time is a round of antibiotics for this condition. Use the "Search " feature above to look up internal layer.

JJ

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Check for mites. When was the last time she was dewormed?

4. Bigdawgs1

Bigdawgs1 New Egg

Jul 13, 2011
    thanks for responding so quickly she has never been wormed and she use to lay eggs almost everyday but i haven't seen one from her in a few days. she eats cracked corn, pellets, greens, fruits, bread, yogurt, and cat kibble.

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I would suggest treating the whole flock with Wazine. Plus you might want to check your hen for mites.

6. Bigdawgs1

Bigdawgs1 New Egg

Jul 13, 2011
    i just checked her for mites. i didn't see any. i will try the wazine. thank you

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:Could be parasites. Are her legs nice and smooth or does she have raised scales?

She could also be eggbound. Does she have oyster shell available at all times? Has she attempted to nest but without producing egg or might you not know (with multiple birds it can be hard to know)? For eggbound, a warm bath can help (use "Search" feature above for lots of info on 'eggbound'). A Tums crushed in a bit of water and dropped gently along her beak line so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke may help in an eggbound situation. If she is eggbound it's a very serious situation because she can go into heart failure if unable to pass the egg.

JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by