Hen with vision problems, growths - UPDATED HAD TO PUT HER DOWN

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sookiesmom, May 24, 2010.

1. sookiesmom

sookiesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Ocean County, NJ
    I have an amazingly sweet hen that just hasn't been the same since she almost died in March. Her dr. saved her, she turned out to have a calcium deficiency. After she got better, she got wet pox. That was diagnosed late March, early April. When she had the wet pox she began to grow these bumps on her beak and by her eyes. I assumed it was part of the virus and after a while saw it going down. Well here it is almost June and the bumps are back. I can tell they're definitely affecting her vision. She'll go to eat a worm she scratched up, and the poor thing is pecking in dirt, thinking it's the worm. She gets soooo frustrated, as do I because I want her to be happy. She's eating her regular food fine and drinking. She hasn't lost any weight, however she hasn't laid an egg since January, when her deficiency started, I'm guessing. If you look at her eye, it looks like this "bump" is pulling what would be our tear ducts. I don't know if they have them or not, but the shape of her eye is oval, not round. I can even see inside her eye, sort of, beyond the brown part of her eye. I'm hoping someone might know what is going on. I also added a picture of her comb. I don't know if that looks normal as well. I know they all look different, but to me it looks enlarged, almost like her whole pretty little face is swollen with these bumps. Please help me!!!! I fought so hard to keep her alive and to get her better, I just want her to be happy!!! She'll be 1 in July, so I just want her to have a long, healthy life, and it upsets me to see her not even able to eat a mealworm, because she's having trouble seeing it or focusing on it. Thanks for any information!!!!! And sorry for the quality of the pictures, they're from my cell.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. sookiesmom

Mar 14, 2010
    Ocean County, NJ
    Just wanted to bump this, hoping someone can help!!! [​IMG]

3. SAORSA

SAORSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
    You made me look. [​IMG] I found this website;

http://webspace.webring.com/people/uk/kelliann293/parasites.htm#Poultry

This is a really good site !!

Not that this is the problem, caus I have no Idea, [​IMG] I just wanted to give you a bump in hopes that an expert would catch the question.

This is one of the things it said ...

Poultry Eye Worms

This worm is very harmful to poultry in the Southern States of the USA .Hawaii , Philippines and other subtropical areas. It is a small white worm that lodges in the corner of a chicken's eye. The eye becomes swollen, inflamed, and watery. Impairing the chickens vision. The eyelids may stick together and the eye may turn cloudy and eventually be destroyed. The chicken may try to scratch the eye to get rid of the irritation.
    Eye worms have a indirect cycle. When the worm deposits the eggs in the eye, they pass into the tear duct, they are then swallowed by the chicken and expelled in droppings, and are eaten by the Surinam cockroaches. When the chicken eats the infective cockroach, worm larvae migrates up the esophagi to the mouth thru the tear duct, and into the eye. Wild birds are also infected, and they help spread the Eye Worm to chicken flocks. To control eye worm you must control the cockroaches around the chicken houses.

NOTE THESE BIRDS IF INFECTED AND HANDLED BY YOU CAN LEAVE THE INFECTION ON YOUR CLOTHING OR SHOES AND YOU WILL CARRY IT HOME, OR YOU WILL BRING IT HOME WITH INFECTED BIRDS.

Be sure and never wear the same shoes or clothing to the bird barn that you wear visiting a bird owners barns.
    The eggs of the disease are in the fluid of the eye of the infected bird. The bird carries a high fever and the fancier needs to doctor it immediately. Use a medicine called VETRX and put it directly into the eye, around the eye, down the throat, and in the water. Do this three times the first week and twice the second week and should clear it up. Continue to put the VetRx on the eye for 4 weeks.

Hope it helps

4. sookiesmom

Mar 14, 2010
    Ocean County, NJ
    Quote:Thanks for replying Saorsa!!! I have seen posts about this on here before, and we don't have those cockroaches here in NJ. And I don't see a worm in her eye. It's like her eye is being pulled by the growth in front of it. I feel terrible looking at her. Just want to make it better ASAP. Thanks again!!!!!

5. Cluck-a-Doodle-Doo

Cluck-a-Doodle-Doo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2009
    Botetourt Co, VA
  6. sookiesmom

Mar 14, 2010
    Ocean County, NJ
    Thanks Cluck for the info. I remember reading about Coryza and saying that with it comes an awful smell. She doesn't have a smell anywhere. I also wanted to add that she's with another hen, Pippie, and she is absolutely fine. When we found out that mine, Sookie, had wet pox, they had already been together. So didn't quarantine the Pippie, because I figured that she was already exposed. Well, the Pippie NEVER got ANY of the illnesses or symptoms that Sookie had/has. It's just breaking my heart because I'm so used to seeing her act so fast to any bug or worm, and nowadays, she tries & tries, then most of the time gives up. Then I let Pippie eat it. I also wanted to bump this, hoping that someone may be able to help. Thanks again to Saorsa & Cluck for taking the time to take a look at my post & give me information!!!!

7. sookiesmom

Mar 14, 2010
    Ocean County, NJ
    I'm bumping this again hoping someone can help. I know it's Memorial Day Weekend, but it's worth a shot. Today she has gotten worse. The eye in pic is now almost completely closed and her beak is "stuck" open. She can't close it. I know it's swollen in there. My vet, who has been working with chickens for about a year now doesn't know what it is. We're thinking cancer. So please, if you can offer any help, I am forever grateful. I think this is gonna end with her being put down. [​IMG] It's just not fair, she cheated death in March, and now this, some odd disease that noboby has any idea about.

8. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Has she been given antibiotics? It could be something as simple as a sinus infection - not to diminish the seriousness of it. Untreated, even that could kill. You know, I have this really awesome Vet who's taken care of all my animals for the past 40 years. I think the world of him not just because he's so skilled, but because he's also a very practical Vet. There's been a few times over those years when he's been stumped for a diagnosis. When that happens, he always administers a broad spectrum antibiotic and a steroid (like prednisone). Usually that would do the trick, my pet would return to health, and we never would know for sure what was wrong. Why not try that with your hen? Give her a good dosing of antibiotics and apply hydrocortisone cream around the eye? If she doesn't improve with those, at least it gives you a clearer picture of just how serious her condition is.

9. sookiesmom

Mar 14, 2010
    Ocean County, NJ
    Thanks Motherjean for responding. My vet is coming over today in the afternoon & I will mention that to him. We did give her Tylosin shots twice a day for 5 days back in mid April. Its been a problem since then. But yesterday is when it reared its ugly head & now she can't drink or eat. She was tube fed pedialyte yesterday & given a shot of steroid by an animal rehaber I know & help. I am soooo scared this is the end. She's not even one yet!!! Plus while giving her shot yesterday I noticed bumps all over her skin. I don't know if she's filled with cancer?!?! If she is, I never even knew they could get it. She was always so well taken care of, given healthy treats like strawberries & watermelon. Its killing me!!![​IMG] I'll talk to the vet today & see if there's even a chance. Thanks again for info & I will definitely pass it on to him.

10. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dang. Sounds like she's failing and your mention of the bumpy skin made me raise my eyebrows. Kathyinmo posted some extensive info on Marek's Disease in this thread starting at post #8: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=349905

I
    sincerely hope this is not what's going on, but worth discussing with your Vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by