Hen with watery eyes

craxyjaxy424

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
Royersford, Pennsylvania
So, July 16th we took in a friend's 11 hens because she's moving and can't take them with her. They were all perfectly healthy. A day or two later, I noticed one had pretty watery eyes so I asked her if that had ever happened before and she said yes. She showed me a picture where it had gotten real big and puffy and said she talked to a farm vet and they told her to apply vet rx and do warm washes and rub it a little to drain. She said it cleared up in a couple of days. It happened right after a hawk scare that first time and right after the move here so we're thinking it might be stress related. So, I have been applying Vet RX to her comb, wattles, beak and under her wings daily as well as some in the water for 9 days. I wasn't seeing any changes, so I started to apply an erythromycin ointment I had on hand. I've been putting that on for 5 days and haven't seen any change. I have seen some things about people using Tylan and I have some of that as well. Should I try and give her a shot of that to see if it helps or what else could I do? If yes, what would be the dose for an around 2-year-old Barred Rock hen? Thank you in advance for any help!

Is vet care an option for you? Testing would be good to determine what you are dealing with. There are several kinds of respiratory infections that are common, mycoplasma (MG), coryza, etc. , sometimes refered to in general as CRD or chronic respiratory disease. Some of them are chronic, you can treat the symptoms, which often show up during times of stress, but the infection remains latent and will flair up again in the future. The birds are considered carriers. Tylan is one treatment for symptoms.

Is vet care an option for you? Testing would be good to determine what you are dealing with. There are several kinds of respiratory infections that are common, mycoplasma (MG), coryza, etc. , sometimes refered to in general as CRD or chronic respiratory disease. Some of them are chronic, you can treat the symptoms, which often show up during times of stress, but the infection remains latent and will flair up again in the future. The birds are considered carriers. Tylan is one treatment for symptoms.
Thank you. No, vet care isn't an option. If I were to try and give her Tylan, how much would I give? I saw somewhere 0.5cc, does that sound right? I've never done an injection before either, so super nervous about that. :l

Is what you have Tylan 50? That can be given orally or by injection at a dose of .25ml per pound of weight, twice a day. If you are nervous about injecting them give it orally with an oral syringe. Tylan is good for MG or necrotic enteritis. Some people use Denagard and find it more effective, depends on what's going on. If you don't see results with Tylan, might want to try that. Tylan/Tylosin also comes as a soluble powder that you can mix in drinking water, that might be useful in the future if you have to treat more than one. You can get that here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder?_pos=3&_sid=2480e53a3&_ss=r

Back
Top Bottom