Hen with white swelling around one eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dand1231, Jan 27, 2010.

1. dand1231

dand1231 New Egg

Jan 27, 2010
    My hen (Chuck-bo) has developed swelling around one of her eyes. It slowly has turned white/gray. She doesn't have any weeping or discharge from her eyes or nostrils. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but after a week it isn't getting better Otherwise, she seems fine. All of the hens are free range and are fed laymash/scratch with occasional treats. Please take a look at the pictures and let me know if anyone has some information on this.

Thanks,
    James

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] James and [​IMG]

I wish I had an answer for you. Is the lump hard or soft? If you open her beak - can you see the bump from the inside? Is she laying (she looks pale) and possibly molting?

3. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Could she have possibly got bit by something? She does look beautiful and healthy.

4. dand1231

dand1231 New Egg

Jan 27, 2010
    Thanks for the input. To answer your questions: the swelling is soft, I haven't opened her beak to check (if it is really necessary, I will do it), some of the other hens are but I don't think that she is laying right now (we're in the midst of winter here in Utah). I don't think that she had been hit, but maybe pecked by one of the others. The other side isn't nearly as pale. I did notice tonight that she was scratching at her face. If necessary I can take her to a bird vet, but I just don't know how necessary it is because she seems normal. However, I would hate to have her suffer at all. Any suggestions?

5. HorseFeatherz NV

How is she doing?

6. dand1231

dand1231 New Egg

Jan 27, 2010
    Thank you for your concern.

Chuck's swelling seems to be going down and the whiteness is decreasing. As usual, she's behaving normally and eating well. However, I'm still at a loss as to what is going on, and I'm still interested in any suggestions.

7. HorseFeatherz NV

I am glad she is doing well and the lump is reducing.

I have no clue what could have happened. Maybe a picking/pecking injury that the outer skin healed quick but a bit of gunk maybe was in the "wound" sealed up and then encapsulated. Maybe something got up her nostril and worked its way into her sinus? Just guessing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by