Hen with wk old dog bite formed a small black/green area next to wound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dotpinetop, Oct 30, 2011.

1. dotpinetop

dotpinetop New Egg

Oct 30, 2011
    My 9 month old hen was bitten by a dog. The wound is about an inch long and maybe 1/8 of an inch deep (and she's missing a bunch of feathers from her rear). The following day she was not moving around well so I brought her inside the house and now have her in a dog kennel/cage with a towel to sit on (water and food). She's able to come out of the cage and wonder around throughout the day (she's becoming a spoiled house pet). I've been cleaning the wound a few times a day with peroxide and she doesn't really mind. She's doing MUCH better and she is acting perfectly normal and energetic - when she's out of the kennel she follows me everywhere. *** But, over the past couple of days, a small black / greenish area has formed next to the wound. It does not smell unusual, it's not warmer than the rest of her skin. It may be just bruising, however, I'm not sure. I put a tiny bit of triple antibiotic plus ointment on the wound today for the first time. Is it normal for a black / greenish spot to form? Should I be doing anything else?

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Hi, Sounds like bruising...does it look like this:
    [​IMG]
    I'd stop using Peroxide...it kills the tissue, even the good tissue that is trying to grow and heal the wound. Now that it's clean apply antibiotic ointment to the wound twice a day. You can add vitamins in her water to give her a boost. I keep my wounded birds extra warm, spoil them with goodies like yogurt, meal worms, scrambled eggs, etc. They are amazing healers.

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I would concur with stopping the hydrogene peroxide. Gently clean as needed with sterile water(warmed) so it doesn't shock her. It is probably the equivalent of a bruise. Increase her feed with protein. Use blue kote (spray) is better without irritating it!!! Hope this all helps!!!! Nancy

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    How's your bird doing?

5. MrRadio915

MrRadio915 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but last Saturday one of our 4 hens found the sharp end of a golden retriever. We thought the hen was a goner but she has survived in our bathroom infirmary for a whole week.

We used liquid bandage to seal 3 holes in her crop, and have since been keeping her warm, hydrated and fed (as best we can).

We're beginning to wonder if she's depressed, and are considering putting her outside for a while to let her know that everything is still going on outside, but...

IT'S MUCH COLDER OUTSIDE than it has been for her inside. We've been keeping her between 70 and 75 degrees, and outside it's in the mid 40s and breezy.

Please help with any ideas. We know that drastic temperature changes can kill - but what is DRASTIC?

Thanks!

6. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I suggest you start your own topic [​IMG]

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    @ Mr. Radio: Yes, start your own topic...but in the meantime, keep her warm inside. Also, sealing a wound that could possibly be infected is not a good idea. It needs somewhere for the puss to drain. If you see the area getting red and angry looking that means you have an infection and will need to put the bird on antibiotics.

8. MrRadio915

MrRadio915 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    The reason I didn't start a new thread is because our about 9 month old hen was injured the same way as the one who started this thread. Will do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by