Hen with wound from fox attack.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rileysgranny, May 6, 2011.

1. rileysgranny

rileysgranny Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Looks more like the fox ripped off some hide when he ripped out her feathers. Cleaned and used polysporin and wrapped with vet wrap, but vet wrap didn't stay on and other hens pecked her back until it is bleeding again. Cleaned it again and applied Nu-Stock. Hoping it's stinky enough that the other hens would leave it alone. Anyone have experience with Nu-Stock?

2. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    am new here but would not keep her with the others until you can get it healed better. Just reintorduce in a few days. Have no clue what you are using, as I am so new to this. Only know vet wrap from work, and not the other.

Good luck !!

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  3. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    goodness bring her inside and well away from the other hens. my wlh peck one another always on the bloody spot. i have to isolate when they get pecked on until the bloodiness is gone. Funny that my 20 brown egg layers never hurt each other, its just the WLH grrrrr. I bathe, blow dry ( careful of over blowdrying because it is natural for a chicken to poop water when they are too hot), the put my injured WLH into a healing cage by itself, but where the others can see her. Why cany my WLH be as sweet as my brown egg layers?

Donna in branson

4. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    hey if her hide is ripped off you may want to put her on injectable antibiotics like tylan 50 or something to make sure she does not get a bad infection. I would also put her in a rabbit hutch so she does not get poop on her wound. make sure she is drinking lots of water, and probiotics wouldnt hurt a bit. Im not a vet, but have tended to many injured dogs and you should check with your vet before doing anything new to your animals

Donna in branson

5. rileysgranny

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    We added electrolytes to the water and the Nu-Stock seems to be healing the spot nicely. The other hens have left her alone. Now she's gone broody! DH is home and checks on her several times a day and I check on her as soon as I get home. She seems to be doing fine now. But I will be keeping a careful eye out. I'm due to clean and retreat the wound tonight.

6. rileysgranny

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Well, she's not broody now, so I guess she was just hanging out in the nesting box until she started to feel better. She looks great and the wound is amazingly getting much better. She was dust bathing like crazy when I got home tonight.
    DH installed an electric fence around the pens today. And we will just have to keep a good eye out when they are out of the pens.

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Bring her in and make sure she gets through the shock. I don't know but maybe Blue Coat would be better? I guess I'd rinse it and put some plain Neosporin on it. Keep her in a quite place and feed her. When you need to put her back with the others, then maybe use the Blue Coat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by