1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

hen with wry neck, what dosage of vitamins?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeannieo, May 18, 2010.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Songster

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    My girl Precious, who I believe has wry neck, is getting a super selenium twice a day, crushed in her food. it has 100 IU vitamin E and 200 mcg of selenium. I'm also giving her three drops of polyvisol 2X daily. Should I be giving her B vitamins as well? if so, how much? is this amount of Vit E and selenium o.k.?

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. jeannieo

jeannieo Songster

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    anyone? I went to the dosages sticky but it's no longer available.

3. mdbokc

mdbokc Songster

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  4. mdbokc

mdbokc Songster

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    From another site (I am learning about this as I sure am reading a lot of people with this condition in BYC).

Wry Neck

Problem: Neck bent backwards, or backwards and twisted and turn repeatedly in circles trying to gain balance.

Cause: Possibly genetic, or result of brain damage/infection, or bad feed.

Wry Neck

Solution: If it is bad feed, feed from a syringe because they can't eat or drink. After a week of water, vitamins and food through syringe they may show signs of recovery.

If they have not started to recover, then it may be genetic or brain damage and the kindest outcome would be to put the chicken down as it will get worse until the chicken has a painful death.

5. jeannieo

jeannieo Songster

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    thank you so much! I really appreciate it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: