HEN WOES NEED INFO

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ali, Sep 4, 2007.

1. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    my hen is laying but she is'nt sitting is this a problem? she only has 1 egg now will she sit on them when she gets more? will this egg make it till then? [​IMG] on a differant note, i got wellsommers pullets, i did the hole seperate coop right next door thing. we did this for 3 days and then put the new hens in. now #1 hen "Momma" , #2 hen "Lacey" and #3 hen "Lemon" are pecking the snot out of them, keeping them in the corner , is this normal? should i be worried? was this a bad time to introduce new pullets? i'm going crazy [​IMG] !!!!!

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

ali..a hen will only set when she is broody. MOST hens will not set untill they are at least a year old and mostly late spring, early summer.

When introduceing new babies to the others, you should seperate them for 30 days, to assure there are no illnesses or buggies. then, the newbies need to be in a seperate pen, where the others can see them for about 2 weeks or so. When introducing them...its always safer to do in the evening...right before roost time. Good luck with the new babies.

3. silkielover

silkielover New Egg

Sep 4, 2007
    she might sit when she gets more eggs, but there always a chance that she won't. We've had chickens sit right into the fall.

4. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    ok thanks, she's an older hen and has been known to sit in the fall but this is her first time laying with me, that sounds funny [​IMG] anyhoo, i don't know what a broody hen looks like, all i know is she can't get ENOUGH of my big roo they're inseperable and she will fight you if you go near him (possessive)!! [​IMG]

5. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    a broody hen is just a hen that is determined to sit some eggs. It isn't a type of chicken. Hope she sits for ya.[​IMG]

6. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    thanks my daughter wants babies [​IMG] so i hope she sits too. my new pullets sat for awhile yesturday. but so far this morning they all have lost interest. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by