Hen won’t eat

Ari_andcheepers

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2020
Recently my hen Pat disappeared one night which isn’t like her. We searched the yard looking for her or feathers or some sign of struggle, we couldn’t find her until around ten the next morning she showed up where we had already searched. She had one eye shut and had pooped on herself, she was weak wasn’t moving or trying to stand. Her eye doesn’t appear damaged, no eye worms or scabs but she still won’t open her eye. She stoped laying and doesn’t eat without me giving her a yolk and actually dipping her beak in it. I offer her water even dipping her beak but she won’t drink. Does anyone know what’s happening? How do I help her

paloozaparty

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
Recently my hen Pat disappeared one night which isn’t like her. We searched the yard looking for her or feathers or some sign of struggle, we couldn’t find her until around ten the next morning she showed up where we had already searched. She had one eye shut and had pooped on herself, she was weak wasn’t moving or trying to stand. Her eye doesn’t appear damaged, no eye worms or scabs but she still won’t open her eye. She stoped laying and doesn’t eat without me giving her a yolk and actually dipping her beak in it. I offer her water even dipping her beak but she won’t drink. Does anyone know what’s happening? How do I help her

OH NO, I'm no expert but just happened upon your post and wanted to ask if you think that she got stuck somewhere? Like, couldn't get up or out of a space? Not that the answer has anything to do with her actual condition... Does she seem egg bound? Or dehydrated??? Especially if she was gone for a bit and maybe couldn't get out? I also wonder if she had to muster up all her energy to come/respond to your calling her the night before? Poor thing! I'm sorry that you're both going through this!!!

Ari_andcheepers

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2020
I honestly believe our neighbors had her either by accident in an animal trap or they grabbed and confined her on purpose she doesn’t seem dehydrated she dose get some moisture from the egg and she has some very wet poops I don’t think she’s egg bound as she laid the day she went missing and the next day when she returned

paloozaparty

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
OMG WHO WOULD DO THAT TO A CHICKEN!!! I'm SO sorry to hear that she's suffering at all!!! I've seen too many posts today on here (I'm usually not on here but once a month)--that make me want to buy a bunch of cameras to put onto my own flock! I can't believe all the things that happen to chickens when they're not standing right in front of you.

Top Bottom