Hen won’t stand on roost?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Golden Egg5, Jan 13, 2018.

1. The Golden Egg5

The Golden Egg5 Chicken OBSESSED

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    I found my hen, Einstein, trying to sleep in a nest box, so I picked her up and put her on the roost. He went totally limp and sat on the floor. I picked her back up and tried again, but same results. It’s in the teens, so first thought was frostbite, but feet looked normal. No bumblefoot or anything odd. The only other thing I can think about is mereks, but I really hope it isn’t. For now she is in a nest box with another gal to keep her warm. Keeping her inside is not an option right now.

2. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    has she been lethargic at all?

The Golden Egg5 likes this.
  3. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Not at all that I’ve seen.

4. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    mabey she was just still half asleep...give us an update in the morning. if she's still lethargic then we know she's sick.

5. featheredplanets

featheredplanets Songster

Nov 28, 2017
    Some do like to sleep in nest boxes, though I think that’s a bad habit, you can block the nest boxes off at night until she starts roosting. Was she puffed up? Did she fluff up even more and make incomprehensible dinasour noises when you moved her?

6. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    She usually doesn’t sleep in nest boxes, and when she does I move her to the roost as quickly as I can. She isn’t acting broody at all. She hasn’t even layed any eggs all winter.
    I will definitely update how she is doing in the morning.

featheredplanets likes this.
  7. Cryss

Cryss Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    Following.

8. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    I really hope she was just sleepy!! I love her to death :fl

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    featheredplanets likes this.
  9. I’m sorry Einstein is having trouble. How okd is she?Please fully examine her in the morning. Her crop should be empty first thing in the morning. Check if she’s lost breast muscle. Look her over for lice and mites. How is her poop? When was the last time she laid an egg? Was it well formed? How does her belly feel? Swolen and squishy at all? What color is her comb? Has she molted yet? Is she breathing, eating, drinking normally? Can she stand and walk? I hope we can help you in the morning.

10. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    She is 8 months old. I don’t think she has ever laid an egg before. She feels normal, no pests, good muscle quality, acting normal this morning,etc. she seems like normal! She’s acting fat and sassy! If anything happens and I notice she isn’t acting well, I will update. She seems normal though! Mabye she was just too tired to sleep on the roost, or the roost was cold to her and she didn’t want to touch it. :confused:

micstrachan, Cryss and Squishychicken like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: