Hen won’t stop laying eggs in Broody’s nest!

vanessamay

In the Brooder
May 3, 2019
Georgia
I have two broodies in the coop that are sitting on enormous clutches due to the fact that the other layers keep adding to them. Very few of my newer hens will use the nesting boxes. Not sure what to do as I have no clue which eggs are old or newly laid. Any advice for solutions that have worked for you would be most appreciated!

I have two broodies in the coop that are sitting on enormous clutches due to the fact that the other layers keep adding to them. Very few of my newer hens will use the nesting boxes. Not sure what to do as I have no clue which eggs are old or newly laid. Any advice for solutions that have worked for you would be most appreciated!
You mark the eggs as soon as the hen goes broody and sits. Any further donations you remove.

Use fake eggs, golf balls, Mark them as said. Chickens wants to lay egg where other eggs are.

Walmart and other stores sell ceramic fake eggs reasonable price. Put fake egg in each nesting box. they will figure it out.

You could candle the eggs under broody and see if some have started and remove others. You could remove them all and start over.

If you have incubator you could move eggs to incubator and start over.

I have 3 broodies sitting remove eggs everyday and leave fake eggs. I Have eggs in incubator will give them some chicks, or some eggs when just about to hatch.

Last edited:
Use fake eggs, golf balls, Mark them as said. Chickens wants to lay egg where other eggs are.

Walmart and other stores sell ceramic fake eggs reasonable price. Put fake egg in each nesting box. they will figure it out.

You could candle the eggs under broody and see if some have started and remove others. You could remove them all and start over.

If you have incubator you could move eggs to incubator and start over.

I have 3 broodies sitting remove eggs everyday and leave fake eggs. I Have eggs in incubator will give them some chicks, or some eggs when just about to hatch.
Do you wait until your broody gets up to eat or whatever to remove the eggs?

No I reach under her, she may not be happy and peck at you. They get used to it. They do not peck at me anymore. Grab good eggs and put the fake egg back in front of her, she will tuck it right back in.
I collect eggs each evening before I lock them up.

Thanks so much for the tips! My daughter and I went in there this evening and marked the eggs. The hens did not object. Hopefully this will do the trick!

Thanks so much for the tips! My daughter and I went in there this evening and marked the eggs. The hens did not object. Hopefully this will do the trick!
Did you leave them all under the hens? That will cause a staggered hatch. Chicks hatching at different times. This does not work well with a broody, as she will typically take the first-hatched chicks off the nest about 24-48 hours after they have hatched, leaving the rest of the eggs to die (unless you have access to an incubator and can put the later ones in it to finish developing.)

How long has the hen been broody? If more than a week compare eggs by candleing and give her a few that appear to be a similar stage. Less than a week pick out fresh eggs you want to hatch and start her on them. Mark those eggs and remove others daily.

Back
Top Bottom