Hen won’t walk…no symptoms

Jessica1981

Chirping
Dec 29, 2017
Hello all!

I have a 3 year old Australorp hen that has suddenly decided she won’t stand up and walk.

Today, I go out to feed and she is sitting by the water container and doesn’t get up when I open the gate. Which is abnormal. She continued to lay there and I was able to pick her up and she never make a sound.

Had green stool on her feathers, appeared to be diarrhea. Sort of sticky. She is not hunched over, feathers are not ruffled, no abnormality noted anywhere on her. Crop is empty, breathing normal, cloaca normal, not pale, eyes open and she’s looking around. Legs are normal, no swelling, bruising, wounds, she moves them, but won’t bear weight. Not eating or drinking. Offered fresh water and boiled egg along with feed and won’t take it.

Any ideas? This is a bit baffling to me.

Hello all!

I have a 3 year old Australorp hen that has suddenly decided she won’t stand up and walk.

Today, I go out to feed and she is sitting by the water container and doesn’t get up when I open the gate. Which is abnormal. She continued to lay there and I was able to pick her up and she never make a sound.

Had green stool on her feathers, appeared to be diarrhea. Sort of sticky. She is not hunched over, feathers are not ruffled, no abnormality noted anywhere on her. Crop is empty, breathing normal, cloaca normal, not pale, eyes open and she’s looking around. Legs are normal, no swelling, bruising, wounds, she moves them, but won’t bear weight. Not eating or drinking. Offered fresh water and boiled egg along with feed and won’t take it.

Any ideas? This is a bit baffling to me.
When did she last lay? The green diarrhea is a little worrying, especially since she isnt drinking. Does her tummy look/feel okay?

Last edited:
Green stool is typically associated with not eating.

Just to rule out potential bullying - when you presented food to her, was she alone or were the other chickens around?

To
When did she last lay? The green diarrhea is a little worrying, especially since she isnt drinking. Does her tummy look/feel oka

To be honest, I have no idea. It’s been brutal heat here in Texas, so all my hens have pretty much stopped laying. Her tummy feels fine. Not swollen or hot or anything. I’ve inspected her every way I can and have noticed nothing abnormal.

Green stool is typically associated with not eating.

Just to rule out potential bullying - when you presented food to her, was she alone or were the other chickens around?
By herself. She’s in the “sick cage” right now with feed, water, and mushed up boiled egg. I stuck her beak in the water and she took a drink, but otherwise hasn’t touched any of it.

Poutry Cell or Poultry NutriDrench can be given 2 ml per day as a boost of electrolytes, vitamins, and minerals. A cup of water with a tsp of sugar or some gatorade can work. You can give her fluids with a syringe or tube feed her. Can you check to see if she may be egg bound by inserting a clean or gloved finger into the vent about 2 inches. A human calcium tablet with vitamin D given orally can help if she is egg bound. Dehydration from the high temps or not being able to walk should be considered. Let us know how she gets along.

Poutry Cell or Poultry NutriDrench can be given 2 ml per day as a boost of electrolytes, vitamins, and minerals. A cup of water with a tsp of sugar or some gatorade can work. You can give her fluids with a syringe or tube feed her. Can you check to see if she may be egg bound by inserting a clean or gloved finger into the vent about 2 inches. A human calcium tablet with vitamin D given orally can help if she is egg bound. Dehydration from the high temps or not being able to walk should be considered. Let us know how she gets along.
Thank you! I’ll try that. She’s been in the house all morning and I guess now that she’s relaxed some, she’s got her wings spread and kind of panting? It looks like what the birds have been doing to relieve some heat during this heatwave we’ve been having. I’ll pull her out and check for an egg, but I’ve not seen any bulging or swelling in that area.

Back
Top Bottom