hen won't come out of coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 5Brenda, Sep 24, 2016.

1. 5Brenda

5Brenda New Egg

May 11, 2010
    yesterday I notice one oh my hen was still in the coop, she on the stoop and what looks like the two red flaps just under her beak are very swollen 20 hours later still hasn't moved off the stoop but notice a clear gooey stuff in her mouth PLEASE I DON'T NO WHAT I'M DOING ? I NEED HELP !! WHAT DO I DO ? Just got ahold of the vet. he said to separate her and she may come out of it on her own But if I used antibiotic I never be able to keep her eggs " just to let you all no!! Thanks

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Hi. Im sorry i can't help... i have never had a chicken do that. Somebody will come along to help though! Hang in there

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

Can you post some photos of your hen as well as the swollen wattles?
    What did they vet think was going on with her?

Separating her is a good idea. She may be dehydrated since she stayed in the coop all day yesterday, so make sure she gets plenty of water.
    Food will be secondary.

Have you inspected the swollen wattles to see if there are any marks on them? (insect/spider bites, snake bites, etc.)

Fowl Cholera and Infectious Coryza also cause swollen wattles. Does she have an odor to her at all (like something rotting)? If no smell, then look into Fowl Cholera.

If the vet will see her, that would be best, he can also get you better antibiotics and possibly do some testing.

https://www.cuteness.com/article/chicken-comb-diseases
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by