Hen wont come out of nesting box

maryellen21

Songster
5 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Sussex county north New Jersey
I got home at 4:30 and one of my tetras was in the last nesting box. I thought nothing of it as sometimes i get an egg or two at that time. I went to vet with one dog and came back and she is still in there... She is making a growly noise if any of the other hens look thru the curtain at her. When i try to get her to move she fluffs herself up and makes the growly noise at me too. Help what do i do! Do i just leave her alone? Is she being broody? Normally i get 6-7 eggs lately. Today i got 4 eggs.. I'm missing 3...

She's broody. I have a Buff Orpington that goes broody at the drop of a hat. If you don't want her broody, keep her out of the coop for a couple of days and she'll get back to normal.

Ah so she is probably sitting on my 3 remaining eggs then. I didnt know tetras go broody, i read that them and RSL are not broody and just lay eggs and walk away..
Ok that is a relief. I would rather have a broody hen then an egg eater anyday

No problem, glad you found the eggs. Good luck with your broody girl. I felt awful the first time I dealt with a broody hen because she insisted on sitting in the nesting box (even with no eggs). I let her go to the roost at night, just no nesting box. After a day or two, she forgot the broody nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom