Hen won't come out.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by secretagent, Nov 22, 2010.

1. secretagent

secretagent Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    We have a loft hen house with a run underneath. The hens also get to free roam a couple of times a week.
    The 2 new welsummers are extremely submissive. After the whole noise fiasco on Sunday morning we put them back into the house, with the door open to the run. The other three hens were wandering around the garden. One if the newbies came down a couple of times and even ventured into the garden briefly until an aracauna walked near her( minding her own business) and the newbie went running back in and up to the house. The other girl has not ventured out and we have put a bit of food and water in and she us definitely taking both. So my question is do we leave them to find their own feet or should we just take them out of the hen house and place them in the run?
    The araucanas took two days to leave the house at first, our rir settled in straight away. These girls were put in the house on Thursday night and still seem terrified! I am happy they are eating and drinking but would have thought they would be more settled by now.
    Any advice?

2. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    It will take some time... it took my EE over a week- you wouldn't know that now as she is fully integrated. Just be patient- it will happen![​IMG]

3. secretagent

Oct 24, 2010
    Quote:Thanks! I was worried about the girl who hasn't appeared yet but we'll just leave them to find their own way! Should I continue putting food in the house of will they just get used to that?

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    I would makes sure food and water is still available. Once the pecking order is established all should be good.

5. secretagent

Oct 24, 2010
    Hopefully we'll see them soon! They are stunning looking birds. Really need to hive the hen house a good scrubbing too but don't want to scare them even more!

6. secretagent

Oct 24, 2010
    Quote:One of the girls came out briefly this morning and at lunchtime the 2 of them wandered into the garden for about 10 or 15 minutes until one of the araucanas walked by and they ran back upstairs! Great to see both out even if it was for a short time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by