Hen won't come out??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stjemmes, Dec 5, 2011.

1. stjemmes

stjemmes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    I posted yesterday about my hen being sick and having lost 3 chicks but no one had any answers-

Here is what I posted and then I have an update-

I lost three chicks without on different days and no signs of anything being wrong with them. Today I go out to let then out of the coop and the last chick is dead and my hen has foamy white stuff coming from her eyes. Her face doesn't llok right like its we or the feathers are missing a bit. What is wrong with her?? Can I give her anything??? I ran out of food so she has been eating the starter grow feed and last night the feed store was closed so I gave her bread.

After hit the store I got her chick medicated food and layer pellets- I cleaned out her coop and put new hay in her box. Anyway she seemed better by the afternoon with no wetness around the eyes. However today I went out to let her out and she looks normal but she only comes out of the hen house if I am in her yard and the rest of the time she stays inside her hen house on her perch. She is eating/drinking and pooping fine. What is wrong with her??? SHe hasn't layed an egg in 2 days. She is my 1st chicken and I know very little about them. She has become a pet and acts like a dog. I can't stand the idea of something being wrong with her. Do you take chickens to the vet??? Should I see if they will check her out or is that crazy???

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    yes, people take chickens to the vet.
    If the eye looks bubbly I would be worried about upper respiratory which would kill the chicks real fast. Scan the thread for mycoplasma and ILT..you will find a lot of info. I have mycoplasma in my flock and chicks can die real fast with no signs of illness. Her face is probably swollen too. the medicated chick started will not help. If you can take her to the vet that would be best cause the antibiotic that works the best for this is Baytril and you can only get that at a vet. If the vet wants to try another med besides baytril...urge them to change their minds. Baytril is not the cheapest but will get her back in shape real quick. Then clean that coop REAL good with bleach (let it air out before you put her back in).
    2nd best antibiotic is Tylan from what I hear (never used it myself). good luck

3. stjemmes

Oct 18, 2011
    I went to the feed store today and got her Terra-vet 10.... I haven't given her any because I worry about medicating her when she isn't showing any outward signs of being sick like yesterday morning. Again today the only issue she is having is that she doesn't really want to leave her perch and she hasn't layed an egg in two days. He eyes and face look completely normal today.

Should i go ahead and give the medication in her water or just see how she is tomorrow??

4. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    you need to see if she is eating, feel her crop..what is in it? Will she eat something other than the crumbles if offered? Is she the only chicken in the coop? Is she lonely after the loss of her chicks? You can buy vitamins to add to the water...that couldn't hurt. Is she pooping? color of poop? all these things are important in trying to piece together what might be going on

5. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    It is possible that she was bit by something. (snake or spider) She may just be recovering on her own. If something bit her or stung her it might explain why her behavior is different.
    Good luck!!!

6. stjemmes

Oct 18, 2011
    She is pooping normal and I felt her crop put honestly I am not sure what is normal and what isn't. She is the only chicken/hen we have now. Her face and wet eyes are completely back to normal and yet she doesn't want to come out. She is still eating, drinking and pooping. Headed out to check on her now.

7. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I think she needs company, too bad her chicks passed away. I wonder if she is lonely. Since she is eating, drinking, pooping and her face is back to normal I would say she must be doin ok. When she moves is it normal movement? no limping or anything? If all looks well and she is just sad, I would get her a friend.

8. stjemmes

Oct 18, 2011
    She comes out of her coop is we are in the yard BUT she acts like she is scared...she darts into the bushes for cover...she still comes up to us but its like she isn't so sure of us anymore. She doesn't want to be held like she used too but she does get excited to see us. She has been on the Terra-Vet 10 for three days now and her cold seems to be gone. So how long do I keep her on it??? What are the signs that she is lonely??? I am currently looking for a hen for her but I don't know who to trust on making sure its healthy?? Can she die from being lonely??? Should I put a stuffed animal in there for now???

9. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Sounds to me like you might have some hawks flying around. Or other bird of prey. My chickens all hide under the tarped portion of the run when there are a lot of hawks or falcons out. If they are out in the yard they will dart into the bushes. She may just be doing a good job protecting herself. That would explain her staying in the coop too, just safer there.
    She wont die of being lonely, especially if you spend a good amount of time with her she could do fine by herself. But they are meant to be in a flock, do her a favor and get her a buddy or 2. At first they may not get along, but they have to establish the ranking. After that they can live happily ever after [​IMG]
    It is tough to know where to get birds, I have just recently learned that even the best of friends, that do everything they can to keep their flock healthy, can give you a disease carrying chicken. I got a pullet that she had ordered from a hatchery and about 3 or 4 weeks after getting her I had a hen come down with mareks disease. After doing some serious thinking I realized that it had to be her and when I told my friend that I got her from what happened she was reminded of the fact that she used to have 2 barnvelder pullets and one got sick and they euthanized her. She hadn't had anymore sick chickens and assumed it was just that chicken got hurt. She felt real bad and now she and I both are waiting and hoping that no one else gets it.
    Honestly, I don't know where you could get a chicken and be positive that it isn't a carrier for one disease or another. Hopefully someone else can chime in with some good advice on that. I know I have taken chances on buying chickens and I have ended up with a few chronic diseases to deal with. Just got done medicating a chicken a few minutes ago. Par for the course for me now.
    Maybe getting pre-vaccinated chicks from a hatchery is the way to go? [​IMG] Idk where you live, but it's mighty cold to get chicks outside now, but she would have some coop mates in the spring!

As with any antibiotic you want to keep them on it for a few days after they appear to be better. usual courses of antibiotics are 7-10 days and 14 days for bad infections.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by