Hen won't eat or drink for 5-6days now;

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BreeBrootal, Oct 17, 2013.

1. BreeBrootal

BreeBrootal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2013
    Southern oregon
    Her name is Penelope I'm not sure how old she is cause I just got her, but she looks and seems aproxamitly 1-2years old.
    Her symptoms are:
    Will not eat or drink on own, sleeps most the day, can't stand on her own or walk and shakes her head when I try and give her water or food, and she has only pooped three thimes since I've had her (5days now).
    When she's warm/comefort able she will close her eyes and start puring, it doesn't sound like a breathing issue in any way.
    I've tried feeding her:
    Scrambled eggs, watered down chicken food, cut up strawberries, meat scraps, cut up cooked posta, bread, she won't take any of it.
    I've given her two warm baths since the first one (yesterday) seemed to help.
    She has no blockage that I can see from poo.
    I've considered egg bound, constipation, and any thing fitting how she's behaving and I'm at a loss of how to help her.
    As far as I know he was like this when I got her, I'm not sure how long she's been this way from before coming home with me. :(
    All the other hens that came with her are just fine.
    Please help. :((

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check her crop for crop impaction and sour crop. If she is not eating it should be flat. She may have coccidiosis, although diarrhea is a symptom. She also could have an impacted gizzard which is lower down in the digestive tract.

1 person likes this.
  3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If she is not eating/drinking then her poop is not normal,what does it look like and only 3 poops in 5 days is very serious. Check her crop as Eggcessive suggested,it will be empty if she is not eating. If it is full,then it is possible she has an impacted crop. You might want to consider tube feeding her,she will not last much longer without food/water,dehydration/starvation will kill her very fast. You mentioned she shakes her head,explain this as it could be a symptom of respiratory issues,are you sure she is purring or is it congestion you are hearing(breathing trouble)? She is critical,5 days is a long time for not eating/drinking.

4. BreeBrootal

Oct 16, 2013
    Southern oregon
    Ten chicks: she will take just the smallest amount of water every 20-30mins.
    And she shakes her head as though she's trying to clean her beak, she rubs it back and forth a couple times on the straw.
    And yes I'm sure she's puring, she mostly only does it when she's warm, or if we touch her at all.
    I've checked her for mites or lice and I've found neither.
    I am going to go check and see how her cob feels and I will have an update shortly, thank you guys so much for helping. I really appreciate it.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She will die if you don't get her hydrated ASAP! Time to tube feed her, then worry about what's making her I'll.

-Kathy

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And she needs to be inside!

-Kathy

7. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Every 20-30 minutes is fine,just make sure she does drink. I would bring her inside(if she isn't already). Check her crop. My understanding is that these are new girls,did you have chickens prior to getting new girls? Open her beak,look inside for anything unusual. No discharge from eyes/nostrils? Does she come out of nest box,or stay in it all the time? This is a long shot,but if you can,call previous owners and ask if she was broody before you purchased her,asking this b/c sometimes when a hen is left broody she can become malnourished,while the symptoms are iffy her purring when you touch her has me wondering.

8. BreeBrootal

Oct 16, 2013
    Southern oregon
    Ok, so her crop is flat.
    And she has been inside for the past two days.
    Yes I had 7other chickens we had just gotten about 3days before we got the 11 Penelope came in.
    No she has no discharge from either.
    And yes, she does just stay in the box the hole time, I think part if that is because she's been on her legs for so long she can't really feel them from lack of blood flow.
    And I will call and ask them.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  9. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Next check for sour crop,crop will feel squishy and there may be a foul smell. When she walks,does she walk funny(penguin)i realize you checked her for being egg bound,but did you do a cloacal exam? You are probably going to have to tube feed her,chickens cannot last very long without food/water,they have a high metabolism and need food constantly to fuel body.After not eating for a period of days,they sometimes will not eat,their body just shuts down and they die,unfortunately this is the nature of birds. This is why intervention in the from of tube feeding is so crucial to their recovery. This is why birds become lethargic and go into sleep mode when ill/injured,they are conserving whatever energy they have left,once depleted they die.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  10. BreeBrootal

Oct 16, 2013
    Southern oregon

Can you discribe the "squishy" please?
    And when she would walk she did walk a bit pinguin.
    I did not, I'm not really sure what exactily to do for a cloacal exam. :/
    I don't know how to tube feed a chicken either. :/ do you know any sites that have that info or a video?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by