Hen won't eat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bobby_A, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Bobby_A

Bobby_A Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    My hen won't eat and she just started laying eggs. She doesn't look thin, but her comb is starting to lose color. I give her fruits, vegetables, and I even make her some scrambled eggs, but she won't eat it, though I did get her to eat some ham yesterday, but she won't eat it today. I have her in a small area by herself, because she won't get along with my other chickens, if it makes a difference. What could be wrong? She ate fine before, but now that she just started laying eggs she won't. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bobby

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. WiscoChiko

WiscoChiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Portage county WI
    I'm basically saying this to bump your post back up, but read up on sour/impacted crop and egg-bound. It would be a place to start... If you give a lil more info some of the more experianced members may chime in...

3. Bobby_A

Bobby_A Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thank you WiscoChiko. The only extra information I can give, is that she is a rhode island red, maran cross, and she is about 5 1/2 months old. She can't be egg-bound, because she layed her egg today no problem. It could be sour crop, how would I check for that?

4. tryxichicks

tryxichicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    How does her crop feel? What do her droppings look like, if she's passing any at all...what do you feed her, does she get grit?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by