Hen won't get off nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Matthew C, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Matthew C

Matthew C New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    Hi there,

One of my hens (6month old flock of four) has been sitting in the nesting box for a couple of days now and I'm worried she might be sick. Or, could she be trying to hatch her egg. Not sure if I should see if that's what she's doing and take the egg away from her. she's just sitting very still while the others are out and about.

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Try reaching for the egg. If she puffs up and growls at you she is likely broody. That is generally what is going on when they won't get off the nest. Stick your hand in there and see what happens and then report back. [​IMG]

3. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Quote:A picture of your injury from doing so might make the pic of the month [​IMG]

4. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Hmmm... I guess I should have said to CAREFULLY stick your hand in there. [​IMG] You should know well before your hand actually gets to the hen (unless she is a silkie. They are pretty tame broodies.)

5. Matthew C

Matthew C New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    Thanks so much for getting back to me. Seems like she's definitely broody because she's clucking and puffing up feathers. Should I do anything or just wait to see if she comes out? Should I take her egg if she has one?

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    If you have fertile eggs to put under her and want babies, then let her go for it. Mama hens are fun. [​IMG]

However, if you don't have fertile eggs and don't want babies, you will need to try to break her of the broody. Do a search on here for "breaking a broody" and see what pops up (see the search button at the top). There are many, many ways to attempt it. I personally have never been very successful, but I am trying to break silkies and they are pretty determined. There are those on here who have successfully broken broodies that will have good suggestions.

Good luck!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Broody!!! Do you have any eggs for her to hatch? If you want to break her of her broodiness, put her in a wire cage for a few days then put her back with the flock. It has worked for me. Good luck!!!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  8. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Just wanted to add that not all broody hens are irritable and defensive. I can reach right under most of my broodies and they make very little objection. A couple quiet objections, but very calm. I hide the egg under my hand as I take it, so maybe they don't realize I'm taking it? I'm not sure, but just wanted to add that if she doesn't make a fuss, she can still be broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by