Hen won't get off the nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ARB, Aug 4, 2014.

1. ARB

ARB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    I have four Maran hens. Been getting 3 or so eggs a day. Three days ago I noticed that one hen was on the nest and not moving. Not wanting to disturb her I came back later and then the next day and found her still there. Getting worried. She is not moving off or eating or drinking as far as I can tell. No eggs from other hens. Besides all the hens seem to be losing their feathers. When I bought the hens the seller said that the roo he had did the damage but it is now weeks later and more feathers are missing and no roo in sight. Have had hens and roos before with no problems. This is all new to me.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Sounds like she is broody and wants to hatch chicks and be a mom!! Are the eggs fertile? I think they could be up to a month after removing the hens from the rooster. IF they are not fertile, you need to break her.. take her out.. not let her set on the nest.

3. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    I am having the same issue. How do you know if the eggs are fertile? I am letting my broody buff orp sit on one egg from another chicken, but I don't know if the egg is fertile. I have 12 hens and 3 roosters.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Ha! If you have three roosters, your eggs are likely fertile! If you break open an egg, a fertile egg will have a bulls eye white dot on the yolk. There are good pictures somewhere on this site. Good luck!

5. ARB

ARB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Thanks for the info. Will try to get her off. What would happen if I just let her set? Would she starve? I did see that today she is facing the opposite direction so she is moving around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by