Hen won't get up!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sixela25, Feb 10, 2013.

1. sixela25

sixela25 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    I have a Cinnomon Queen Big Momma and I went to check on her and her feet were swollen. I checked here and it's not Bumble Foot. There are blisters between her toes. Most of them popped but they left some scabs. I put her in saltwater and it helped but not that much. I have never had this with my chickens. Please Help!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

it could be ammonia burn, just off the top of my head? x

3. sixela25

Feb 10, 2013
    What are the symptoms

4. sixela25

Feb 10, 2013
    What's the cure??

5. kellysmall87

Symptoms are swollen feet, blistered. sometimes there's eye or respiritory problems too. Caused by ammonia building up in the bedding of the coop, esp if the chickens have nothing to perch on then they are standing in their own mess. Not sure on the cure.. see what you can google.

6. sixela25

Feb 10, 2013
    My Dad thinks we should put her down because she can't walk. How do you cure ammonia burn if that's what it is.Thank you for your time helping me.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  7. sixela25

Feb 10, 2013
    Now she has frost bite. Should I have the heat lamp on her and have her in her own little area?.

8. kellysmall87

yes pen her in her own area , heat lamp on. Tonic/apple cider vinegar in her water. As for the ammonia burns - if thats what they are - youll have to google it. I dont know how to cure it. Search ammonia burn in the search box at the top of this webpage. God luck :)

9. sixela25

Feb 10, 2013
    I searched and nothing came up. We are going to call someone and ask them about it. But she is in pain.

10. HazelCMAS

HazelCMAS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    Long Beach, MS
    If you have some aloe, it can't hurt and could ease her pain. My first instinct would be to wash her feet in cool water, use aloe or some kind of antibiotic ointment then keep her isolated with clean dry bedding...and make sure she can perch to get air to her feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by