Hen won't go broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chefgian, Nov 28, 2011.

1. chefgian

chefgian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Stow, OH.
    I have some Malaysian Seramas who are laying eggs, but won't go broody. Is there a way to speed them along? She now has 9 eggs and probably cannot cover any more. I also have several hens in the coop with about 7 eggs and they won't go broody either. How long should I let them go before I just throw the eggs away? How long can I leave the eggs with the chickens and still safely use them? Thanks for your help!

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    You could always eat them. Sounds like you have enough for at least one omelet! [​IMG]

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    They decide when they go broody. I never leave a real egg until I know they are seriously going to sit on the eggs. Not all hens go broody either. I'd put them in an incubator or toss them. Don't think I'd eat anything that sat in the nest like that [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  4. BlazeJester

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I guess it's different if they're fertilized. I had a hen hide eggs for 3 weeks (we found 20 under the porch) and we cooked and ate every one. We do not, however, have a rooster, and it was a pretty neutral time of year for that to happen.

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:They can go broody even if the eggs aren't fertile, but I've heard some can get them to go broody. I have never been able to get one that way. They decide on their own and that's what most people will tell you.

A lot of times if there's a large number of eggs, it means the others hens pitched in. LOL

6. BlazeJester

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    She has a very distinctive oblong shaped egg, and they were all hers. We knew hers were missing because of the shape, and it took us the better part of a week to track them down!!!

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I believe you, but I said most times the others add. At least if the nest is hidden.

I only can in to help. I'm sure someone else can do a better job. Don't need to hang out and argue.

I'm sure that plenty of other breeders will come in a glad tell you how to get that bird to sit on her eggs.

Good luck on your hatch.

8. dlockey

dlockey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    [​IMG] Question about 2 of my roosters: My Jersey Giant frequently moves his head from side to side, very fluid like motions. The Columbian Wyandotts does the same thing but not as frequently as the giant. Otherwise, everything is fine. Any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by