Hen won't leave nesting box sick not broody

Lori Kay

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Ok, here's the scoop, my hen has been in the nesting box 24/7 for three weeks at least. At first I thought she was being broody but I later realized she was not. I carefully picked her up and her butt was really messy with poo. I cleaned her up to see if she had a prolapse or anything else going on and she didn't. I've been getting her out of the box to force her to eat and I've brought water to her. ( i think she may be sneaking food and water when I and the other chickens aren't around because she's in pretty alert health. All I've noticed symptom wise is she looks as if her feathers are full and ruffled rather than laying down smooth and she's had diareha kinda normal green but only when I get her out of the box, there is no poo in the box. What the heck is going on with this hen? I thought she had too many rich table scraps they get whatever I throw out, but none of the rest are having a problem and I would have thought she would have been back to normal by now?? What do you think?

Oh I forgot, she does seem to have an appitite and always drinks a fair amount when I bring it to her, but she is very lazy about getting it herself

I am wondering how your situation ended. I am having an identical problem.

Back
Top Bottom