Hen won't leave nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by j_morgan76, Nov 9, 2011.

1. j_morgan76

j_morgan76 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Titusville, FL
    I have 6 hens all about 10 months old and no roosters. Recently I have one hen that is always in the same nesting box. It's like she never leaves. Is this normal? should I be worried?

2. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    shes just broody its normal. she wants to hatch eggs

3. j_morgan76

j_morgan76 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Titusville, FL
    Thanks... I was getting concerned.
    [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    You've got a broody!

[​IMG]

A layer:

[​IMG]

5. hooliganfriend

hooliganfriend New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    One of mine did that for a few days, she was sitting on her ( and her coop mates ) eggs. I scooped the eggs out from underneath her for several days and then she gave up or something and is tearing around as normal with the rest of the flock now. I am sure she will get over it

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Broody yes. A blessing for some, a curse for others. [​IMG] I would personally love a broody!

7. brownysfp

brownysfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    Seem to have been blessed with broodies this year, it's been hard to stop them! In the last month alone two of the girls have reared twenty chicks between them. One decided yesterday enough was enough and went off to the main coop leaving her eleven in the youngsters coop. The other has nine littlies with her in the new-borns coop.

8. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

You should get some fertile eggs to put under her

Dennis

9. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    My Cochin has been broody for a month now... the eggs are being thrown away due to worming right now, and so, she sits on an empty nest. Makes me feel bad for her. [​IMG]

10. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    One of mine is trying to get broody, but we don't have a rooster either so there's no point in letting her. Besides, it's getting hot here and it can't be good for her sitting in a small enclosed space for so long without water. After an hour (or after all three have laid for the day) I lift her out of the nest and shuffle her off towards the waterer, then close the door to the coop so she can't go back in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by