Hen won't leave nesting box

millerchix

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
I have noticed our 1.5 year old Rhode Island Red is not leaving the nesting box. She has been doing this for a week now. I take her out, but a few minutes later she goes back in. The crazy part is she is not laying. There is nothing under her! What's going on? And how do I stop it?

Sounds like you have a broody hen, They will still brood even if there are no eggs to sit on. There is a nice article in the Learning Center that has some tips for discouraging them, https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/encouraging-or-discouraging-broodiness-in-your-hens To break them I like to use the wire cage method mentioned, usually a wire dog crate, I like to put roosts in because the wire is usually spaced wide enough that they can't stand/sit on it comfortably (most dog crates seem to be around 1x4" spacing). and keep the crate in the middle of the coop/barn isle where thing are really busy, you want the hen to be bothered. For food and water I like to use small bowls I hang from the sides since some hens will sit in bowls on the floor.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom