Hen won't let other hen roost - what's up w/ that?!?

TheSpiceGirls

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I have two hens, a JG and a BO. They get along okay during the day. The JG will peck at the BO if I toss down treats so I've cut way back on treats and just hand feed each of them a couple of meal worms each afternoon.

My pain point is that the JG won't let the BO roost. The JG gets up there and in her spot. The BO hops up and the JG just stomps down the 2x4 like it's a balancing beam and BAM! pecks her off.

I think the JG is just a grumpy alpha hen and unfortunately all her aggressions are directed at the BO because she's the only other hen there. I'm getting more chickens but it's going to be a few more months before they can all be together.

So the poor BO was roosting on this wooden block that is in the house for them to jump off of up to the roosting bar. I felt so bad for her last night. So I took a big piece of cardboard and divided the roosting bar in half and put the BO up on her own half. And thank goodness I did because the JG shoot the biggest load last night that would have landed all over the BO had she been there on that jumping block.

I'm eager to get home tonight to watch their bedtime routine to see if that cardboard divider works. I sure hope it does.

Anyone have any other advice?

I had a peeper on the JG for about 11 days but took it off. I couldn't stand to see her so sad with it on. She clearly hated it. And she still pecked at the BO on the roosting bar because she knew right were she was. She's such a bully.

69266_dsc_5386.jpg

Here's a photo of my cardboard divider.

Quote:
She's a BIG brat. She's a Jersey Giant and she's HUGE. Well, she's around 7 lbs so not as big as some other Jersey's but certainly twice the size of my BO right now.

Back
Top Bottom