1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen wont open her left eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mikeychix, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Mikeychix

Mikeychix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2015
    Hi guys i have a dilemma with my favorite hen i like to call fatty. The other day i went back to clean out the coop and noticed one hen was still in the run, fatty. She wasnt really walking around and i noticed she had been itching her left eye against her feathers every now and then. I soon saw that she wasnt opening her left eye. Later that night i took some saltwater and tried to rinse her eye out but she wouldnt open it, and when she would it would be just barely opened. Still i managed to squirt some in her eye, but today i checked on her and her eye was still shut and she was sill itching it. She doesnt roam around with the other hens and im scared that she wont eat or drink and die. Any thoughts on what to do?! Could it be mareks? im terrified of that situation and am praying it isnt. Could it be a simple infection that is itching her or worse? What are good eye drops i can use for this? And also i forgot to mention i got a little glimpse of her eye when she opened it slightly and saw it looked weird from normal, smaller pupils, but it was dark and hard to see. I really really really need some help on this i cant get a vet until tuesday and have no help until then. Also since im still under 18 my parents really dont want to take her to the vet for some reason, but said theyd buy an antibiotic if we could. Please help!!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Get someone to help you. Wrap her gently, but snuggly in a towel so she is easier to handle. Flush the eye with saline or salt water, this will help you get a better look to see what's going on.
    She may have debris in the eye or she could have an eye infection. Have you noticed if she's been sneezing or coughing?
    Once you flush the eye, if there is anything in there try to get it out.
    If it looks infected you can use some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment in the eye.

Also check her over for any lice or mites. Especially on her face, vent and under her wings.

If you have a photo of the eye you can post it if you like.

Let us know how she's doing.

3. Mikeychix

Apr 25, 2015
    OK, so i went out again tonight and finally got her eye opened enough to see it well enough and squirt it with the saltwater completely. After that i noticed she didnt seem to have anything in her eye but im hoping the saltwater helped out somehow. But one thing that scared me tonight was i noticed her eye was cloudy. What might that be? It also might help knowing that she is molting currently and has been for a little while but would that be a cause for it? Ive heard it could be cateracs or a vitamin A deficiency. Please help!

4. Mikeychix

Apr 25, 2015
    I also want to add that her eye looked to be cloudy in the cornea not the iris area. Not 100% sure though. She wont open it long enough to be 100% but im pretty sure its her cornea. Ive read it could be mareks if her iris is cloudy but she has no other signs of mareks except that she doesnt wanna roam around as much because she cant se as well with one eye.

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  6. Mikeychix

Apr 25, 2015
    Can the third eyelid still be there when her eye is fully opened? Because her eye was open and thats when i noticed.

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Yes, it can be seen with the eye open.

Can you post a photo of your hen's eye?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by