Hen won't put weight on left leg.please help

Easter eggers

Songster
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
One of my ee's is not putting weight on leg and I don't know what happened. I looked at her foot but saw nothing. What should I do?

Quote:
This happened to one of my roosters and then one of my hens. The rooster I saw catch his foot in the fence but I never saw what happened to the hen. They both recovered completely after a few weeks. I would keep the hen away from any roos and from jumping down from roosts.
Good luck
big_smile.png

Can you put her in a smaller cage or pen where she can't move around much? Sometimes they sprain something; and there is not necessarily any heat or swelling in the foot or leg. We have had them do that before and keeping them confined where their movements are fairly limited; (they can't run, or jump off a perch or spend a lot of time walking around) has helped, and eventually they have been able to walk normally again. But it takes a while, we had one that took six weeks bf she healed. Feel around the hens hips to see if they feel normal and equal to each other; they will limp and or not put weight on a leg with a dislocated hip, and the rooster can dislocate the hen's hip if he is too rough.

If you can put her in a separate pen you can also give her a little baby aspirin in the water or crushed in the food; the standard dose is 25 mg per pound (of chicken) per day, and a standard baby aspirin is 80 mg. You'll have to do the math, hehe, but gives you an idea.

Back
Top Bottom