Hen won't put weight on leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alifeouthere, Sep 23, 2014.

1. alifeouthere

alifeouthere New Egg

Sep 23, 2014
    I came home Sunday afternoon to find some loose feathers in the coop and one of my seven chickens standing on one leg. I checked her for puncture wounds and found nothing. It seems that as she was rushing around, she must have tripped over a wire and got a leg caught in it. The wire has since been removed. I put her in a large dog crate with lots of shavings, water, and food. She has sight of the rest of her flock. They miss Ruthie greatly and crowd around the part of the run where they can see her.

The leg is warm at the hock and feels more swollen than the other. I can't feel if there are any slipped tendons, etc. There are definitely no broken bones. She is clearly hopping around and afraid to put weight on the left leg.

She didn't seem to have an appetite, but I gave her some dried mealworms this afternoon and she was gobbling them right up. I had a soft peach in the crate as a treat and it looks like she pecked at it a bit. This morning I put half of a crushed up baby aspirin in her water, but I'm not sure if she drank it.

I'm guessing that it's just a sprain. Any suggestions on anything else I should be doing? Should she be in a smaller crate so she lays down? The crate she's in is big enough for our 100lb labs. Should I put her leg in a splint? She definitely does not want to put weight on it and is just using it to balance at this time.

Thank you!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I'm not an expert on leg issues, but several things can cause swelling of the hock--mycoplasma synoviae (MS,) viral arthritis or tenosynovitis, and a bad sprain. Look for swelling of the feet and joints, and of course on the foot pad for any bumblefoot. A small cage large enough for her food and water, and to lie down and turn a bit would be large enough, since you want her to rest the leg for at least a week, maybe two. Vitamins (especially B Complex ) added to the water may help a little. Here are a few links to read:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/164/viral-arthritis

3. alifeouthere

alifeouthere New Egg

Sep 23, 2014
    Thank you for the info. I think it must be a sprain due to the fact that her feathers were caught in the wire she must have tripped on in some sort of chase. She isn't laying down to rest it- just balancing on one leg and hopping around here and there. It may be because the dog crate is so big....

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If the crate is too large just place a box or a laundry basket on it's side or upside down inside it to block off part of it. I hope she recovers in a couple of weeks. I had a hen limp for over a month from a sprain, but I didn't keep her confined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by