Hen won't stand up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Abs, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Abs

Abs New Egg

Apr 18, 2010
    I've got a 7-8mo old Maran hen (one of three) who won't stand up.

I had checked on my girls a some days ago and she was sitting out in the run, up against the side of the coop. I thought she way laying her eggs in a funny place and didn't think much of it. A day or two later, when I was back out, she was in the same spot, but kind of on her side this time. I went in to check her more closely and she was acting like she couldn't get up. I could see her legs moving like she was trying, but couldn't.

I put food and water next to her and she ate and drank without problems. I didn't see any sign of injury. She wasn't making any noises like she was hurt, she didn't get upset when I was by her. She just kind of scooted a little like she couldn't get up.

Yesterday she was still in the same position, so I carefully picked her up - she didn't resist or give any signs of pain - and put her in a box with pine shavings and moved her into the garage. (It's been colder here, especially at night). She's got food and water right next to her. Doesn't seem to be eating much. No eggs. Poop around her when I moved her was green-ish. She's just sitting there, not really moving much. She clucks a little here and there, but nothing to indicate she's in any distress. You wouldn't know there was anything off, except she won't get up.

I'm not sure what to make of this. It's weird to me. She's usually quite active, but tends to be the loner of the trio.

Any ideas?

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Botulisum, Marek's, poisons, toxins, moldy feed or rotted food and vitamin defficiency all can cause movment problems. Being eggbound can cause them to not move well, but there are typically going to be other signs of distress (might still be good to check out her belly and vent areas.

Green poo is a sign of lack of food in the digestive system.

Not sure what could be reccomended for treatment, but maybe look over some of the problems above and see if you can match up any other symptoms or work on ruling any out.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    clay gave you the best possible answers.

Any young pullet/stag that begins having leg problems should generally be culled for obvious reasons. Trying to doctor them is generally a waste of time; plus, you stand the chance of spreading some viral disease to the rest of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by