Hen wont stand up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick rookie, Jan 13, 2014.

1. chick rookie

chick rookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    [​IMG]
    ok this hen wont stand up. a little back ground on her, she was a factory chicken before I got her. She is mean as all get out, she gives me an egg a day, nice egg, she is VERY broody. she fights me for her eggs, you dont dare do anything with or around her without gloves on she WILL tear you up. for 3 days now every time I go to collect eggs she has been in the same next box. I thought it was just her time of the day to lay so I changed my time to collect. She was still in the same box. I picked her up and put her in the floor and she just fell back down. so I checked her legs her neck her back for injuries and found nothing.
    I can move her joints and they all move smoth. She is skinny I can feel every bone. I brought her in te house and have food right next to her which she went to town on, then she vomitted I have never seen a chicken do that didn't know they could. maybe that how they feed their chicks? anyway, her poo is rank!!!!! and dark brn. and I do mean rank!!!! other then sitting all the time she seems normal, SAME OL TUDE!!!

aNY ONE HAVE ANY IDEALS??

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It could be that your hen is broody and absolutely refuses to leave the nest or walk. To the point that she won't even get food. Some hens like that can really be a pain. You might want to continue having food close, but I would see if you can put her on a wire floor (like hardware cloth) and take some of that comfort away.

3. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    I have come to the conclusion that is exactly what is going on... She is so noisy in the house ... she wont shut up. singing and talking is one thing but she yells!!!! I have removed the feed sack and pine. she now sits on the chicken wire bottom I put in the dog kennel she was pictured in. and now she is really loud!!!! but if it gets her out of this broody spell so be it!! I just hope she goes back into it ( just not this bad ) this spring. I want to have her hatch some eggs for me. have to other hens that are good mom's and am going to put 6 eggs under all them. but not her if this is how she is going to do it. I wont have her kill herself. as wise as Mother Nature is you would think she would make sure her critters took care of themselves as well as babies, not starve herself. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My first broody, an Orp, did not leave the nest and I had to put dishes near her. For the rest, what I've done is pick them up and set them outside a few times a day. With my silkie, I just let her sit.

5. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    along with a fellow BYC member we are going to set her this week and trade the eggs for 3 chicks this Sunday. Am hoping this will work. it will make her happy and me too.... and maybe this spring she will hatch me some eggs without all this drama.

6. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    just a update on my broody hen. tried sneaking chicks under her and she tried to kill them, so I put her back out in the hen house and see what happens, I tried alot of things nothing worked so now it's all up to her. [​IMG]

7. chick 10145

chick 10145 Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2014
    saint gorge
    She's proboly just to lazy

8. chick 10145

chick 10145 Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2014
    saint gorge
    She could have a muscle problems

9. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In

nop she was just broody... she is fine now, finally broke her broodiness and I am giving her away if you know anyone, she is mean and I have had it with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by