hen won't stop laying under roosts!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oceanbird, Oct 8, 2007.

1. oceanbird

oceanbird Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    I need help to get my hen to stop laying under the roosts- she couldn't pick a worst spot, it's where all the poop is! I have six hens and this is the only one who isn't laying in the boxes. I have plastic eggs and golf balls in the nest boxes. There is a mix of hay and pine shavings but still she lays on the floor. She is a new layer so this has been going on for a little over a week.

Help please!

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Are your nests elevated? If so, maybe she'd prefer one on the floor. Or, it just may take her a little more time to get the hang of it.

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Have you seen her actually lay one. I had one pullet that was laying AT NIGHT, like in her sleep. I thought she was laying them on the floor and didn't know why until I figured out that she was dropping them from the roost.

4. oceanbird

oceanbird Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    It happens at all times of the day not just at night- I don't have any boxes on the ground but there is lots of floor space with hay- why does she choose to lay where all the poop is?

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Maybe she thinks you won't take her eggs if they're dirty! [​IMG]

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Here is another post on the same topic. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18431

Not
    sure if you'll find more helpful info there, but it is common for pullets to 'dump' eggs any old place until they figure out the nest box. Especially when they get tired of waiting for their turn to get in the "special" nest.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by