Hen won't stop laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ollo, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Ollo

Ollo New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Hello, I have something odd happening with my chicken which has me worried. I have been searching on google for some answers but have had no luck yet. I haven't searched this site thoroughly, so apologies if this has been asked before.

My hen has laid a total of four eggs today. The first two she laid were hard, but the second two were soft. It seems uncommon for a hen to lay 2 eggs in one day, so I don't know how this can possibly happen. Before you ask, yes I am pretty sure she laid all of these eggs, or at least 3 of them. When looking in the morning she was sitting on an egg (it's possible this wasn't hers, although usually my chickens will leave the coop shortly after laying). Then later in the day I came out and she was still sitting in the coop, so I looked under her and there was another egg. I took her out of the coop hoping she would eat and drink, then approx 4 hours later I saw her lay a soft shelled egg. After that I separated her from the other chickens and put her in our 'sick bay' area we have set up. Then about an hour later she laid another egg! This time it was pretty much just a yolk.

Has anybody had anything like this happen before?

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Was one of the first two eggs weird looking, or huge, or otherwise different than normal? If she skipped yesterday and the day before, she could have had a "jam" of sorts that all came out in one day.

How old is she? Anything else going on with her? Does her rear feel/look swollen? (if you've never looked close at the vent area, grab another hen of the same breed for a comparison.)

Don't be surprised if she skips laying for a couple of days.

How is her energy level?

3. Ollo

Ollo New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    She is less than a year old, maybe 9-10 months? She is not moving around as much as normal, so perhaps low energy levels. I couldn't see anything of concern with her rear. She was fluffing up her feathers very frequently if that means anything? It's night here now and I have put her in the coop with the rest of the chickens. Will see how she is tomorrow, hopefully this was just a one-off "jam". Thanks for your help!

1 person likes this.
  4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Hopefully it's just one of those weird passing things, a glitch in the system.

Is molt coming on soon? The onset of molt can cause funny things in the eggs as laying peters out in favor of growing new cells. Molt starts a couple of weeks before feather loss, it's a whole cellular change out. If that might be it, add protein to the diet. A treat of cat food (35% protein on average), or switching to a grower feed with added oyster shell on the side for the calcium. Typical layer feed only has 16% protein, and molt is a demanding time for a chicken.

5. Ollo

Ollo New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Sorry for the late reply. She seems all good now. Not sure what what would have caused this to happen, thankyou for your help Mandelyn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by