Hen won't tolerate other chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Reinsaway, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Reinsaway

Reinsaway Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    McMinnville OR
    Hey guys!

I have a little Modern Game/Hatch cross hen and I worry sometimes that she will get lonely.. but everytime I try to introduce her to other chickens she beats the sh*t out of them, and then wont allow them to eat or drink anything. Did I spoil her too much too early?

She spent the first 3-4 weeks being raised by her mom with no human contact, but then I kept her inside with no chicken contact until 2 months ago, and she turned 1yo today [​IMG]

Do chickens need other chickens for companionship? Or should I just stick to giver her LOTS of attention every day?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I would use the look but don't touch method with her. Put in her in a crate or a fenced off area where she and the others can see each other but can't get to each other. That way they can become aquainted but not cause injury. Introducing new flock members is a long process taking weeks or even months in some cases.
    When you do eventually introduce her add extra feed and water stations, this way she cannot defend them all at once and everyone gets chance to use them.

With being on her own she may have just forgot that she is a chicken and with that comes a pecking order. In a flock they all learn the rules and the does and donts.

Wishing you the very best of luck with her :frow

3. Reinsaway

Reinsaway Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    McMinnville OR
    I tried that originally, she was alone in the coop and the others where in a dog crate for about four days.. when I let them out she was tolerant for about two days and then decided she wasn't having it.. she even started crowing today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by