Hen wont use left leg at all!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cohl0406, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Cohl0406

Cohl0406 Songster

May 29, 2014
    My hen stopped using her left leg yesterday morning. I saw her laying in the middle of the yard. She just started laying so at first I thought she was just confused haha. But when she got up she was hopping along. I've had her in my bathtub on towels and food and water in there. Shes eating, drinking and pooping (plenty of pooping going on) I've felt around for a slipped tendon. I dont think I felt one but not sure if it's something obvious or not? Her leg is swollen a bit and it looks like it might be bruised? I've attached a picture. Nothing is broken and she can move it. I also cant tell if her leg is warm because shes keeping it tucked up tight against her body (shes a buff orpington) or if it's because of an injury. No bumblefoot that was the first thing I checked. Any ideas? I'm so sad shes in pain.

Oh when I got these pictures and picked her back up she let out this ungodly honking noise. I assume it was because she was hurting. I just have her a bit of asprin water.

Attached Files:

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :hugs Does look bruised at the joint :( I'm not much help here but hang in there, the more experienced and knowledgeable will be responding :fl It's possible she injured herself jumping down from the roost or somewhere. Have you checked further up her leg, or is it only the area in the picture that's "hurt"?

Cohl0406 likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The swelling and bruising do suggest an injury. I probably would not give aspirin, so that she won’t use her leg too much. I would make a chicken sling for her to sit in, and place food and water close to her. Until you make a sling, keep her in a dog crate or basket, making sure she can reach the water and food. A 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex crushed onto her feed daily can be helpful. Here is a picture of the bones of the leg to see where the injury may be. After the swelling goes away, you might be able to splint her leg with some vet wrap or cohesive bandage for support. Here is a good link with pictures of chicken slings:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

upload_2019-1-15_18-24-49.jpeg upload_2019-1-15_18-28-59.jpeg
    Chicken sling

Cohl0406 and ChickNanny13 like this.
  4. Cohl0406

Cohl0406 Songster

May 29, 2014
    I cant tell much higher. Where I can push feathers up and still manage to see her skin but it seems to get worse above the joint. Shes in the bathtub now with food and water close she is eating and laying down. Shes not standing up when we go in there. Keeping it dark and trying to keep it as quiet as possible with 3 young kids. At least in my bathroom shes in her own room basically. Am I wrong in assuming that she wouldnt be able to move her leg if it was broken? She will grasp my fingers with her toes on the hurt foot but not with much strength or quickness.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you possibly get a picture of her leg showing the whole leg? It looks like the bruising is on the metataursus, but it could have a fracture. An xray would be helpful if possible, but one usually costs about $100. If you have a regular vet, they may be able to tell without one. Broken bones can take about 3 or more weeks to heal, while sprains can vary. Here is a splinting link where on page 22, there are pictures for splinting a lower leg:
    https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

ChickNanny13 and Cohl0406 like this.
  6. Cohl0406

Cohl0406 Songster

May 29, 2014
    I can try for a picture. Husband is home now so let me see if he can hold her and I can get through all the fluff. The bruising definitely goes up past the joint and gets a much deeper blue color. I have tried to really mess with the upper leg to see if I could feel anything where I cant see and she doesnt bawk or pull away.

7. Cohl0406

Cohl0406 Songster

May 29, 2014
    Ok sos I think it's broken on the metawhatever! Her foot moves side to side but the other leg does not. What do I do??!!!!

8. Cohl0406

Cohl0406 Songster

May 29, 2014
    Right where that dark dot is. It's really bruised there and that's where its bending

Attached Files:

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Would an xray tomorrow morning be a possibility? You could try splinting the metatarsal bone with padding, coffee stirers or popsicle sticks, and vet wrap, but check the splint guide page 22. You said it looks more bruised above the joint though. You will need to make sure the splint does not get too tight and cut off circulation, and to do that feel of the skin on the foot and toes. Loosen the splint if needed.

ChickNanny13 and Cohl0406 like this.
  10. Cohl0406

Cohl0406 Songster

May 29, 2014
    Going to check that page. An x ray isnt possible I dont think. I'll call local vets tomorrow morning making split now we have tons of vet wrap, padding and long q tips to make a splint.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: