Hen won't weight bear on left foot.

marialane

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 28, 2010
My one year old hen is favoring her right foot. She can weight bear on the left for no more than say 2-3 seconds. I examined it and found no puncture marks, no abbesses, and it does not look inflamed. When she does weight bear on it, I saw that the middle toe curled under rather than remaining flat as she attempted to walk. Two questions:

Should I splint it? If so, with what material?

Also, should I isolate her from the flock as I noted that she is now getting picked? My only option is to remove her from the coop and place her in a chick n barn upstairs in the barn. She will not see the flock. Will that cause her more problems? (Now that I write this, I think I know the answer; to remove her regardless, right)?

Thanks for your help!

If they are picking on her, yes, she needs sanctuary. Maybe with a good buddy so that when they are re-introduced, they will have each other.

Ideally you would keep them nearby where everyone can still see everyone but not every set up can work out this way. She does need to be somewhere where she can't jump up onto anything till she heals. Either she'll need to sleep on fluffy pine shavings at ground level or she could have a very low perch with easy step to get to it.

She may have injured her foot/leg jumping up onto or down off of a perch or other. Pain relief will no doubt be welcome (aspirin water - one 81mg baby aspirin crushed in one cup drinking wtaer, chnaged out to fresh batch twice daily ideally).

As to her toe, that's what may be injured. Did you look at it closely to see if injury visible? I wouldn;t splint unless dislocated or broken.

JJ

Marialane:
About five days ago, I just took my 4 1/2 year-old RIR rooster to the vet because of similar symptoms. The vet examined him for signs of injury (there were none), tested his reflexes which seemed normal so he suspects a neurological problem. I have my rooster isolated in a kennel indoors and have been mixing a Vitamin B complex in with his pellets which I started wetting down. I have also been giving him unflavored Pedialyte mixed with water. I haven't seen any changes yet (better or worse) but fortunately he still has a hearty appetite and has been staying hydrated.

That is great advice! Thank you both for your time and recommendations. She did allow me to soak her (the foot) in a warm bath. I was able to inspect and like JJ said, I do now think is it isolated to the one toe. Sorry about your Rooster's condition, Stephanielynn. Sounds like you sure do take care of him! He feels that, I know that for sure! Again, thanks!

Lost my hen, Sadie:(

Her left leg appeared to be recovering. She was fine last night, nothing unusual. I found her lying by the door. I've looked at her and perhaps because I'm novice, I could not see anything that I would think killed her. I have read that several others are losing their hens too. Could her limping left foot had anything to do with it? I'm thinking that, combined with the high humidity, might have done it. Also though, what does come to mind, and bear with me if I seem off, but recently she would demonstrate a startle response like something spooked her. I never saw anything though. I'm wondering if something more serious was happening that I was not aware of. Boy it is hard when you loose your favorite girl.

Back
Top Bottom