Hen????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by leah_c, Jul 14, 2011.

1. leah_c

leah_c Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have two Buff Orphingtons that are 18 almost 19 weeks old. I was told that they were BOTH pullets, but I noticed yesterday morning while they were sitting on the deck railing, that on has a bigger comb than the other. Neither one crows but was just wondering about this. Hope the ARE both pullets. [​IMG] Please help.

[​IMG]

2. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    looks like pullets to me if the age is right. Looks like you might get an egg soon. [​IMG] I've had roosters crow as young as 4 weeks. I don't see any hackle/saddle feathers either.

3. leah_c

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    They both have fluffy butts and I've seen the cockerals "mounting" the ones that I know are pullets. The pullets have bright red combs also, so eggs should be coming soon then? Was just wondering because the ones comb is so much smaller than the other. Thanks for the help!!!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Each girl matures at a different rate. It just means the bigger comb is closer to laying. They're both pullets.

5. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Both are adorable pullets!! [​IMG]

6. leah_c

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    YEAH!!!!!! Just went out to feed calves and found one of my barred rocks in one of the nesting boxes in the coop! Not sure if she's gonna lay. Some of the younger ones are allowed to sleep in the coop with the older ones and they normally will sleep in them. Never seen one in there during the day though. [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by