Hen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MommaSampson, Jan 27, 2013.

1. MommaSampson

MommaSampson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    This is my first duck so assume I know nothing! I originally thought that she was a Pekin cause she hadn't developed the red around her beak until recently. I researched and found that male Pekins had the tail curl so I assumed she was a girl cause she doesn't have the tail curl. Once I found out that she's actually a Muscovy I don't know if it's a girl or boy now. It's 20 weeks old. Opinions?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Can't really see her\his tail in the pictures, so we can't tell for sure. One great way to tell their gender is to listen to their voice; if they're males they will have a whispery, raspy voice, but if they are females then they will have a clear and loud QUACK!!!

3. MommaSampson

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ducksliketoswim

ducksliketoswim Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    Im not a 'scovy expert but Im pretty sure male muscovies get pretty big and since she doesnt seem to be larger than your pekin, i'd assume she was a female. She looks to be about the same size as my muscovy girl. I guess we'll know for sure in time!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Muscovy drakes don't get the curled tail feather. and is she same age as your Pekin? if so then I guess duck. Pretty too, i have 3 solid whites. love em all.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    No quack or tail curl from muscovy. Looks like a hen to me. Very pretty.

7. MommaSampson

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    Our pekin is over a year old. I'm actually going to give our pekin back to the lady I got him from and get another muscovy. I was looking last night at what colors they come in and I love the lavender and hershey brown colors!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by