1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Henderson, Nevada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 2blues4kids, Feb 21, 2012.

1. 2blues4kids

2blues4kids New Egg

Feb 21, 2012
    Henderson, Nevada
    Hello from Henderson, Nevada
    I am a mom who homeschools 2 teen boys?!! We have started a very small and I do mean small urban farm and want to add chickens to the whole kit and kaboodle. Any advice is greatly appreciated. We need to start with building or buying the coop , and then the chickens. If your in or near Henderson, Nevada and would not mind sharing a look at what you have going let me know. If you dont and you have advice I would love to hear it.Thanks again. Great site.

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Welcome to the BYC! On your chickens, what do you have in mind? Are you looking for good egg layers, docile breeds, brown eggs only? For a start, you may just want to get a couple of hens that are old enough to not need lights. When you are searching for some, pay close attention to their overall appearance and especially their eyes, as this can be a good indicator if they are sick or frail. Good luck with your new farm. I find a farm to be very refreshing for the soul.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. 2blues4kids

2blues4kids New Egg

Feb 21, 2012
    Henderson, Nevada
    I am looking for good layers. I really don't care the color or much else except that they lay eggs and are sutiable for begginers. I am really excited. And yes my little urban farm is very refreshing. I loved going out and picking my lettuce for my lunch time salad this morning. Thank you for any advice you can give.

5. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    White Leghorns are great layers of white eggs, but tend to be flighty. Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks and Australorps are great layers of brown eggs. I really like Marans and Jersey Giants due to their easygoing nature, but they are not the best layers. You could probably expect 3 to 5 eggs per week from them, depending on the weather.

6. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio. Good luck with your chicken adventures

7. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG] From Ohio!

8. StevieNay

StevieNay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    [​IMG] from the northern part of the state! I love the idea of an urban farm! I think we are going to have something of that sort after we get going, I think chickens are just the beginning. Next stop, composting!

Good luck on building/getting the coop, that should be fun! We went ahead and built our own and it was actually a lot of fun.

9. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Welcome, glad you are here. We started with production reds, beautiful birds with nearly an egg daily (at least so far the first year). From what I understand those these little girls do tend to wear out around the 2nd year, so I will be sad when they stop laying. They are VERY friendly birds, the first to greet us in the morning and at night. In addition, we have Easter Eggers which lay green/blue/pink eggs and they are not as friendly. They do not lay as many eggs and took longer to point of lay. You will love collecting the eggs, and if friendly, the little birds are really not hard to become quickly very fond of. Good luck!

10. 2blues4kids

2blues4kids New Egg

Feb 21, 2012
    Henderson, Nevada
    We compost and worm farm for fertalizer . I have lettuce for six family'd do not know why I felt I needed that much. but I make salad everyday for lunch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by