HenGear Roll Out Nest Boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 9blessings, Apr 22, 2017.

1. 9blessings

9blessings Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2017
    Coastal Maine
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Interesting, I saw no reviews or dimensions. That raises some red flags for me but no, I have no experience with that type of nests. Joel Salatin has used “community” nest boxes and says a 24” x 48” community nest box will handle around 24 hens, not 48. But searching online I see others using smaller dimensions and still claiming they handle a lot of hens. Personally I’d trust Joel more than what I see advertised. Maybe cut the advertised number in half to be safe.

You might want to do a search on “community nests boxes” and do some comparison shopping if you want that type.

Community type nest boxes are good for egg production operations. They do not work if you expect a hen to hatch chicks in the nest. And broody hens can possibly upset the number of hens it will handle. You might want some plans for broody hens. A separate nest area you can lock a broody hen in if you want her to hatch eggs or have a broody buster handy if one goes broody and you don’t want her to hatch eggs.

A broody buster is a wire bottomed cage you elevate so cooler air can get under the hen. You provide her food and water but nothing that looks like a nest. In three of four days she should have broken from being broody and will no longer be a disruption.

Community nest boxes are a proven concept, but I personally have no experience with them.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Q

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. 9blessings

Mar 28, 2017
    Coastal Maine

Thank you! I really should get a copy of Salatin's book. And I will do some research on community nest boxes.

5. 9blessings

Mar 28, 2017
    Coastal Maine

Thank you! Australorps are a heavier breed and the larger size is one of the things that caught my eye. I appreciate you sharing about how many boxes your girls use!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by