Henhouse pull out tray lining

Nov 25, 2020
Northeast Mississippi,USA
I use brown shipping paper on the bottoms of my parrots cages and in their pull out trays. Could I use that instead of the usual litter? I have a huge roll of the paper really close to deminsions of its tray. If litter is better I will use it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201125-162755_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20201125-162755_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 3
Could work fine, give it a try.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

Could work fine, give it a try.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.
Thank you! I believe I will give it a go.
They will be free ranging during the day so their run shouldn't need a lot of help. They will only be in the actual house for nights after their initial get used to new home time.
I poop clean my parrots paper and cages once a week. So probably will do that with chickens too. I think the paper will work well for composting the poop too. Let it dry then tear up lol.

I poop clean my parrots paper and cages once a week. So probably will do that with chickens too.
You will have to see how often you need to clean.
I imagine the chicken poop is rather larger than parrot poop.
They are pretty solid and get triple in size once they start laying,
hopefully your sliding tray is deep enough not for them to be scraped off.
How many chickens do you have?

They will be free ranging during the day so their run shouldn't need a lot of help. They will only be in the actual house for nights after their initial get used to new home time.
Maybe.....there are several reasons for birds to need a secure run at times.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Milkywheyfarmchickens
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1606345929408.png

You will have to see how often you need to clean.
I imagine the chicken poop is rather larger than parrot poop.
They are pretty solid and get triple in size once they start laying,
hopefully your sliding tray is deep enough not for them to be scraped off.
How many chickens do you have?

Maybe.....there are several reasons for birds to need a secure run at times.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Milkywheyfarmchickens
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2425302
1 currently with 1 more coming after I get my coop in. I am sure I will need to work on my routines and different ways of improving as I go. I will go to my profile. I live in NE Mississippi.

Back
Top Bottom